Brasso, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jamesfrmphilly, Apr 15, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    would you use it on a raw brass finish?

2. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    maybe

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It would probably work as well as anything, but something that would probably work better is Sabian Cymbal Cleaner. Just spray it on, let it sit for about 45 seconds, rub with a soft cloth if you want, then rinse off.

My cymbals are Sabian AAX brilliant finish cymbals and therefore need to be cleaned from time to time. Sabian Cymbal Cleaner really does the trick, and since cymbals are made out of bronze, which isn't too different from brass, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    If there is ANY kind of coating on the brass, then no. The Corps taught me all sorts of uses for that stuff. It is incredibly abrasive, I mean, like liquid sandpaper or almost rubbing compound. Not knowing anything about raw brass finishes, I can't really tell you anything. It does make brass shine, I will say that...

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I will use Silvo (which is really Brasso but with a much finer "grit") on slides that get all "blackened up" with gunk having not been cleaned in "too long". On an older horn, bought second-hand, you'll probably find that you need to clean up the slides so that they a) move, and b) move freely and then c) look "nice". Silvo will do that, putting a nice, high polish to them.

Silvo can also be used to polish the areas where the lacquer has come off. I had a Yamaha YCR2330 that was missing half it's "overcoat" and Silvo would bring the raw bits up to a shine that would make it look, at least from a distance, as if it were in pretty good condition.

BUT be warned. Silvo and Brasso are ABRASSIVES and as such should be used only as much as absolutely necessary. Try to clean the slides using the hot soak if you can. If that doesn't work and you don't have access to a chem clean (and from the sounds of it you are interested in cosmetics), I'd go for a very LIGHT application of Silvo rather than Brasso. Silvo comes in a can identical shape to Brasso but with a blue/silver color to it. Should be on the same shelf right next to the Brasso at the grocery store.

6. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Be warned! If the horn is lacquered, Brasso will eat through that lacquer and the horn will look like hell. I wouldn't use Brasso on a horn. Selmer makes polishing clothes for brass/lacquered horns that I've used for years. That seems to be all the polishing any of my brass instruments needed.

Bill

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I agree with Bill. In fact, I have used Brasso to de-lacquer trumpet bells. The only other thing I use Brasso for is to smooth out rough and sticky 3rd valve slides.

Use a non-ebrasive brass polish.

Mike

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i went down the street to the store.
    they had Brasso and Noxon.
    i got the Brasso and tried it.
    the horn looks good. real good.
    now I'm watching it to see if it's going to fall apart or implode or something.
    8)

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I have been a brass instrument repairman since 1978. I frequently use Brasso on NON LACQUERED surfaces. It is abrasive, but so mild that to damage the brass you'd have to use it an unbelievable number of times. It will eat the lacquer off. I have used it on my own instruments, and the instruments of many others, and never had a complaint.

10. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    If I wanted to remove lacquer from a horn, to create a raw brass finish, could I use Brasso to do that? How much work would it take.....a coating and light rub, or would I be scrubbing the horn with a brush for hours...