"Brassy" sound- good or bad?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Nov 5, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

This is what I've always thought of as "brassy" (in a bad way) ..... The beginning trumpet player's brassy splattering. I think maybe we all went through that period as beginners.

But "brassy" (in a good way) to me means that it has life and sizzle and edge to it ...... It's a TRUMPET for G's sake ..... It's not a flute, it's not supposed to be mellow (unless the piece calls for it). That "brassiness" is the EXCITEMENT in the instrument.:play:

Turtle

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The normal path of development is to get basic playing skills, then join a band. In the process of playing with others, we develop a "feel" for what works and what is annoying. If we don't we are a basket case. After that "junior band" we continue to get better and join something more advanced - more feedback for those that are paying attention. After a while, if we are interested, an opportunity comes up to play with a jazz band - new input for those that are awake.

You ask about a "brassy" sound. What other option does any trumpet have? Woody?, Plasticky? Concretey? Stoney?

What we always want is to be surrounded by people that love our sound, sense of timing and personality. We do not find that on the internet. Make YOUR audience happy and you will be just fine.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Describing a brassy sound is rather like describing the color blue. What shade are you going to describe?
    Rich T.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    The general rule is as follows:

Music director dressed casual? Brassy sound.

Dressed in hip sport jacket? Brassy sound.

Standard professional suit? Less brassy.

Cardigan sweater? Much more mellow

Leotards and tights? Spandex? Mellow cornet/flugel horn. Bach 1 or Schilke 22 mouthpiece cup depth or larger. If still too penetrating tone? Send him a box of Ghiradelli or Lady Godiva chocolate (here: Godiva chocolate, gourmet chocolate gifts and truffles at Godiva.com) That and some pink roses...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Brassy is Classy! That's why I choose the trumpet as my main instrument, yes even years after starting out on the Hammond B-3!

6. sorahauk

sorahauk New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    TN
    If you are referring to a sharp, staccato, bright sound, then that would be good for marching band.

But For concert band, you would like a dark, warm, rich, syrupy chocolaty sound.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well I guess that eliminates "Bugler's Holiday" for concert band.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I love it! I was wondering how long before someone said it as I pulled the post!!ROFL

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So what am I? Chopped liver? That's what I said in post 15: "Brassy is Classy! That's why I choose the trumpet as my main instrument, yes even years after starting out on the Hammond B-3!"

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Fraser posted that in #8, I was just smiling as I responded. I hadn't read the entire post yet. You are more than chopped liver to me (and others I'm sure)! :grouphug: Can I Get A Witneeeeeeess (B-3 says, "Dun-Dunt")!!?? :lol: