Breaking it Down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have started intensively practicing certain songs, if I can't play them through all the way without a mistake. I take the parts that I can't get consistently, maybe a high arpegio, a tough interval or an especially rhythmic fast section, then I repeat those few notes over and over until I can get them to sound good. Does anyone else do this for practice?

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    It would be my guess that pretty much everybody does this. The only discriminator is how often a section like that comes up. For some players here, it is more of a rarity than others.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I teach my students to isolate the problem and work it out. Then try and play it in context. rinse and repeat as necessary.

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Here are some of the thoughts of one of the greatest trumpeters to ever put a mouthpiece to his lips, Adolph Herseth. These are from Tim Kent's notes and while everything said can be applied, Herseth had a particular idea when playing difficult passages.
    Herseth lesson notes

RT.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    When I first get a piece I look it over for any passages that look like trouble and I work them out (this includes getting into them and out of them--that context thing Bob mentioned). Then I go through the whole thing, noting any problem sections. After working them out I continue to give them special attention as a part of practice. Except for rehearsal and performance I don't play through an entire piece of music very often.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Wow, great stuff, thanks for posting. I especially like the one that gets repeated...Never practice, always Perform. Also the one about staying relaxed even in the high register. I was watching Arturo on youtube the other day and even as he's soaring it looks like he's barely exerting himself.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Hmm. That is an interesting approach. Do you eventually commit the whole piece to memory?

8. diego

diego New Friend

Jan 25, 2012
    I aways memorize the whole piece. I play trumpet for only 2 years but I still remember the scores I use to play on clarinet about 10 years ago.
    Some time my memory will get full, but I have a very big head ROFL