Breaking news:Buffet (Besson, Courtois) has acquired B&S (various including Scherzer)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Dec 13, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have just seen this through a linked in contact
    Buffet Group acquires B&S and becomes the leading European group of wind instruments manufacturers, and one of the largest in the world (brings Buffet, Besson, B&S, Courtois, Hans Hoyer, Keilwerth, Melton Meinl, Scherzer, Schreiber).

Here is a video of the announcement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPKOytvNfSA

Well, I expect we can look forward to even more homogenization of trumpet design.:evil: Leblanc did it with the Committee, Conn-Selmer have done it with the Benge, and now we can expect Stenciling of all these other famous brands. Unfortunately, accounting bottom lines will always trump musical values.

I am proud to be independent!

Coincidentally I will be in Markneukirchen next week visiting some of my component suppliers so expect to pick up some gossip.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Re: Breaking news:Buffet (Besson, Courtois) has acquired B&S (various including Scher

That makes me happy that I already own some Courtois instruments from the "golden years"

Now I know why my father always talked about the good old days

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Re: Breaking news:Buffet (Besson, Courtois) has acquired B&S (various including Scher

For information, in the issue # 44 of The Brass Herald you can find an interesting article about Courtois & Besson, history and future of those brands. More details about "The Brass Herald" in a recent post of Philip Biggs here in TM.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio

Wonder if this going affect the Cannonball horns as well?( Made by B&S):dontknow::oops: