Breakthrough........... Don't underestimate Arban

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    G'day all you masters of the trumpet,

14 years ago i bought the Arban, and i can honestly say that i have never practiced it with the the due diligence that Mr.Arban outlines in his many commentarys, until now. Wow what a book! I have bashed through many of the studies without the comprehensive preparation that Arban outlines. When i first got the book, i thought that getting to the end of an exercise without a split was good.

Over the last month i have had an Arban Rennaisance. I particularly enjoy the mixture of technique and musicality of all the exercises. What i find particularly clever is how it really cuts to the core of issues within a lip friendly range.

My Arban aim over the next month is to play exercise no.46 on page 20 with a relaxed tongue, good intonation and sound. After only scratching the surface of this exercise i am already feeling the benefits right across my 12 octave register ;). It is a real killer in my opinion.

Have you ever been complacent or sacreligious to the Arban?

Have you rediscovered the Arban, and wondered why you faffed around with all those other method books/gadgets out there (e.g. the reverse pressure technique what nonsense)?

What stuff has completely wasted your time when you should have been blowing Arban?

Yours as always

B.U.M.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    :shock: ???

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I live in the land of Arban, with a daily trip to Clarke's Ville :)

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    A little joke, it's really 11.3333333 octaves!

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    My volume was a cumbersome, self closing, book on the stand. I neglected it's bulk for a long time until I cut the spine off, reproduced the covers, and spiral bound it into three mini volumes.

6. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    It's a good idea to do that actually. It is all to easy to loose/forget stuff within the book otherwise. My Arban has also fallen to pieces, so i might get the Mrs. to do that for me; saves buying a new one.

7. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    My red arban book is designed so badly, you need to clip the pages always and it's extremely fragile.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    A friend who is a financial adviser and has the equipment, because of making up proposal booklets for clients, trimmed the spine of my red Arbans and comb bound it. It works a treat, opening fully and staying open on the stand. I have read here that KInko's Copy Centers will do this work for a very reasonable price. It makes the book much more usable and ensures that the book will last much longer.

OLDLOU>>

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I didn't delve into Arban until 4th year university, when i realized how terrible my flexes were. I spent a good 7 months doing them religiously every day and now I feel they are one of my better skills. It improved my playing tremendously.

At Mr. Wise's suggestion, I am now working on page 125, as well as some stuff from page 20-22.

Frusterating to practice, but the rewards are worth it.

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    As I got older, I began to appreciate Arban all over again. The lyrical studies are great for developing your tone, intonation and musical interpretation. Make it your goal to learn all of the Arban lyrical studies up and octave. Or even down an octave, for that matter. It will develop your sound in all ranges.