Breakthrough........... Don't underestimate Arban

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    It would help if they would just stop treating it like the word of the Gospel and just re-print it with modern English and rid all the false pre tenses that have been proven false.

Destroy the "Ye Olde" plates and re-print the early work with modern ,familiar contrasty font/staffs..clear and sharp like the rest of the charts we are accustomed to.

What are we trying to preserve, anyway, a name, or a piece?

2. mimic

mimic Pianissimo User

May 3, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I bought the Arban book when I started my comeback. I have played it cover to cover many times.....some pages better than others. I will never master it the way it's supposed to be played. It is my other bible. My book was pretty well ripped up so my dear wife punched holes in the pages, fortified it with whatever those sticky rings are, and bound it in a folder. Makes a huge difference in keeping it on the stand and open. Just in case it goes out of print I bought a brand new one and keep it under lock and key. I only wish I could find a teacher so I can do all the excercises the right way now.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I use the Arban daily and it really pays. I am now on my third book.

4. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT
    I recently picked up the Arban Manual from Eric Bolvin Music. It is a handy roadmap for going through the entire book in an orderly fasion, something I have not done since college. I am on lesson 17 of 69, there really is no substitute for this book.

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Starting at C0 = 16.35 Hz, which is the lowes we can hear,
    and ending at B10 = 15804 Hz, which is about the highest
    we can usually hear, I would say that

YOU´RE EXAGGERATING!!

Who needs Arban!?!? I use this, after a tip from SolarBell:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

That's amazing! lol ROFL

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire

How dare you accuse me of exaggerating! Do you not realise who i am? You have heard of Cat Anderson, well i am Bat Bum. This is because only Bats can hear me play; thats how high i play! To put you in the picture, Jon Faddis adds a bass to my supersonic screechs.

Just because you cannot hear them, it does not mean that they don't exist!

Sincerely yours

B.U.M.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I've used the Arban book since 6th grade (I'm 51), sometimes more diligently than at others. Whenever I'm asked which technical study book someone should buy, the Arban is always my first recommendation. I don't think there's another book out there that is as comprehensive as it is.

The other thing I really aprpeciate about it is the fact that it's a practically endless resource...just when you think you might have an exercise down, there's those three or four minitiarized models at the bottom of the page.....DUH -- back to square one!!! Ha Ha.....

bigtiny

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There is couple that I know of, though they are somewhat different:

1. Methode de Trompette

Reference: LED0384
    Author: Dokchitzer, Timofei
    Published by: ALPHONSE LEDUC EDITIONS MUSICALES

2. http://www.di-arezzo.com/france/detail_notice.php?no_article=ENOCH00068
    [​IMG]

Both require slightly more advanced skills (especially the final exercises of the book) than Arban.

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Somewhere, when i was searching for an arban book, I saw the new edition they have out, is this any better then the original, or is the original the best bet? Right now I use the free one online, but its incomplete, so which is the better buy?