Breakthrough........... Don't underestimate Arban

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 1, 2009.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Another book that I heard good things of, but never had in my hands is Domenico Gatti's gran metodo teorico pratico progressivo.

2. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

3. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have heard...but never bought one.

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Get the one with the CD...This one is the latest:

The Platinum Edition
    www.amazon.com/Arbans-Complete-Meth...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251922425&sr=1-2

And it is already comb bound, so you will find it easier to break it down into three volumes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use it diligently. It is NOT an Arban book. It has another way of developing skills. They are called velocity studies and you get a theme and then MANY variations on rhythm and articulation. Today, the young dynamic players would call it "old school". To me it is the ultimate good habit builder. The duets and solos are WORLD CLASS!

6. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have the duets in a separate book. Ditto - Warning - some are awfully long for the chops.

7. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    The arban is perfect for multitasking. When you work on the different exersizes then transpose them and you are working on many things at once. Also, if you have trouble with something that the arban does not cover quite as well as you would like say minor scales or sevent chords then compose your own study based off of it.