BREAKTHROUGH!!! (I have finally broken the embouchure code. I think.)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by Sabutin, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    how important is a teeth alignement for the embochure. I ask this because all good trumpet players seem to have straight well maintained teeth, well all except for one chet baker who even missed few teeth; look at this vid (in particular at 0:28): YouTube - Chet Baker Live (Belgium 1964) : Time After Time

I ask this also because my front teeth are not really perfectly aligned and sometimes when my lips swell I can feel that, sometimes can be annoying

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Rowuk,
    You sure hit on something when you said emotional makeup. I don't know if you would call it lack of confidence, unboldness, or shyness, but I've seen trumpet players who are very smart and can follow instruction not be able to play in the stratosphere. The one constant variable I've noticed was they have (for lack of a better term) a timid personality. To qualify, I don't mean humble personality. Some of the best high note players I've met come across as humble, but not meek.
    I know I've told more than one student "You're a trumpet player darned it, grow some bolts and play like you mean it"!!!

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I wouldn't rap your fingers....unless it was with a rubber ruler! ;-)

There's nothing too ugly in this thread for my tastes. Let's hope our man Dane, er.., Don, er.., Sam gives us another installment of his stand up routine.
    I think his newest bit has something to do with the time he helped Bill Chase pick out a new mouthpiece - hill-freakin-arious!!

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    No sir. I do enjoy the stamina of a good educated debate, and your participation is admirable.

All I'm saying on the other hand is, will somebody send in the clowns?:woop:

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

6. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    This has been almost as much fun as serving a rich chocolate dessert (made with x-lax) at a dignified party...and then having all the door knobs break. Of course we should use another someone's house. Reactions can be fun. "See how they run..."

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    First I want to apologize because I obviously missed the thread. I spotted the word "embouchure" in the title and just glanced the thread and I assumed this is a place for general embouchure talk. Since I was puzzled how chet baker managed to set his chops up with few teeth missing I decided to post it and was hopin someone will be interested in discussion about that. (now when I learned what is going on I will repost my post in some more appropriate thred)

back on topic though...
    IMO what is going on here is basically the clash of cultures. My grandfather was Yugoslavian and worked as a gastarbeiter in Germany. And I sometimes visited him, he lived and worked in Stuttgart. What I have learned is that german people are systematic, hard working and pedantic and have extremly high working discipline and self control. Unlike us the Balkan people. They always seemd like robots to me, but I also have enormous respect for them. What I see here in Rowuks posts is genuine german way of thinking. The german approach. It can be shortened into something like "no pain no gain" but it actually is the approach to thinghs that is part of them, everything they do they do it properly and systematically, not like us the balkan people who tend to rush things. So Iam with Rowuk on this one, not because I think the thread starter is unknowlegeable, no on contrary, but because I know If I do it the german way I cannot be wrong, because I experienced germans and I know them wery well, and it is not the matter of beleiveing in them, but in knowing that their approach is "do the thing properly" there are no short-cuts in germany.

On the other hand I find american people more flambouyant, more live, more lucid and more open to the experiment.

So I will use german approach for the main supstance and will use american approach only to spice the supstance up a bit.

Hope I didnt offend anyone, this was written all in good faith

bye :-)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

I seriously doubt that the esteemed rowuk is a robot, nor is the S man a Balkan. Both are lucid, intelligent and both have some chips on their shoulders, and they ain't chocolate, which is generally Swiss.

Being the old Jew that I am, I could have all sorts of crosses to bear against the Germans, but I worked in Europe for a couple of years and found the Germans easily as innovative, entrepreneurial and alive as any American, perhaps more than most, but don't try to cross the street in Munich against a red light, or you'll hear an old Fraulien shriek, "That's how it starts!" (true story, 1991)

ed

9. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm wondering if Rowuk is actually German? We know that he lives in Germany, but is he German? If you are German Rowuk, your English is excellent!

10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    As far as I know, rowuk is an american...

[​IMG]