BREAKTHROUGH!!! (I have finally broken the embouchure code. I think.)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by Sabutin, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    universal theory of brass relativity, seems we got ourselves an einstein here. Jokes aside, the guy plays trombone, next thing he will be teaching us will be about fingering...

2. Sabutin

Sabutin Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2009
    New York City
    That's right, chet fan. I'll betcha that I can teach some of you something about fingering. I was a pretty good tuba player before I got serious about playing trombone. Here is one for you, just for starters. It pertains to valve technique, by the way, among many other things.

Ready?

What is the difference between a note and a tempo?

Get back to me when you think that you have the answer.

However...I can't teach you a thing unless you are open to new ideas and not just another trumpet geek sniping about fictional trumpet/trombone rivalries and the impossibility of there even being any "As above, so below" similarities among brass instruments.

My main brass teacher Carmine Caruso certainly thought that there were. So did Donald Reinhardt...a trombonist, by the way...and so did the trombone/euphonium virtuosi of the late 19th/early 20th century like Simone Mantia.

Are you a sniper or a learner?

Your choice...I guess.

Later...

S.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Whoa.............
    My first teacher was a trombonist. He was a superb teacher. I played from the Arban Book. I could play from a low F# to the high C........in my first year and I had barely reached 9 years of age.
    Please cut out the kid stuff........you might learn something.
    Wilmer

4. Sabutin

Sabutin Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2009
    New York City
    Hello Wilmer...

Thanks. Maybe this thread will calm down a little now and we can get some work done.

Later...

Sam

P.S. Someone suggested something on my site that seems to have worked out to improve this thing even more. I'll post about it over the next couple of days...or maybe put up another YouTube vid about it. That kind of cooperation is what I was hoping for on this site. Maybe it will still happen.

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    primarly I am physicist. I have spent 10 at uni studying only physics and when I heard this: universal theory of brass relativity it made me sick. It is much too pretentious and above all it has nothing to do with things you are saying.

6. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    sorry, didnt mean to attack trombonists, I have no beef with trombonists, on contrary

7. Sabutin

Sabutin Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2009
    New York City
    You have absolutely no idea of "the things that I am saying", chet fan. Not unless you have bought my book and then spent the requisite time that it would take you to internalize some of its approaches into your own playing. Not unless...at the very least...you have spent several hours perusing the threads in which I have been involved on my own site (The Open Horn) and The Trombone Forum over the past six years or so, not unless you have read the articles that I have posted on my other website, SamBurtis.com or the ones on The Online Trombone Journal.

Not a clue.

My use of the words "A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" precisely defines where I am coming from, and I used that phrase as an homage To Albert Einstein.

This makes you "sick"?

Deep.

Einstein would have gotten it. He was a musician. An artist. And he understood the limits of physics and mathematics as well. That is why he was a musician.

Einstein was very good amateur violinist, and due to his achievements and fame got to play chamber music w/some of the greatest musicians of his era.

Once Einstein asked Jascha Heifetz how he (Einstein) was doing in a string quartet in which they were both playing,

Heifetz replied..."Very good...for a physicist."

I wish that i could say the same to you.

You have "spent 10 at uni studying only physics", eh chet fan?

Maybe it's time to branch out a little.

Here is one of the vast number of what i call "jazz teaching stories" that pertains here as well.

Or...as Einstein would most certainly have understood...the great Fats Waller story.

Yup.

My book's subtitle?

Chet Baker would've gotten it, too.

Anybody whose favorite saying is "Let's get lost" is my kinda people.

Einstein wasn't just a scientist or mathematician, you know. He was a stone artist.

Here are a few salient quotes from this man of broad understandings:

And finally...as a special treat for you, my poor, sickened friend...

Yup.

10 years in university, eh?

And you can't figure out how Chet Baker played with less than perfect teeth?

Hmmmmm....what are they teaching you there?'

Loosen up, bubba. If that phrase sickens you, you're gonna have ulcers before you're 35. Bet on it.

When Wilmer suggested that you "cut out the kid stuff........you might learn something" he wasn't just whistling Dixie, podna.

In fact...I'll bet that he doesn't even like the tune very much.:laughwave:ROFLROFLROFL:evil::evil::evil:
    Have fun...

I am.

Later...

S.

P.S. I'm rooting for you, chet fan. I really am. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Nords,
    This is a G rated forum after all...

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009

I will have to dissapoint you, I have neither time nor will to continue with this