BREAKTHROUGH!!! (I have finally broken the embouchure code. I think.)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by Sabutin, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Sabutin

Sabutin Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2009
    New York City
    No, frankmike, I have just described a part of the Sam Burtis approach in a quite clear and untwisted way.

Where do you people get this stuff!!!???

Here is a quote from an early page of Maggio's "Advanced Studies" book as written by Carlton MacBeth.

Now...I am not going to get into a pros and cons argument about Maggio's work. Enough successful players used his approach for me to say that it had value. But what I am doing has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the above. My approach produces an embouchure...a set of embouchures, really, a well-connected set...that is most efficient for any individual player no matter whether his or her initial middle range lip setting is 2/3 upper-1/3 lower, 7/8 lower-1/8 upper, 1/5 upper-4/5 lower (By the way...what set of calipers would one use to measure these jive proportions?) or any other setting one could possible imagine.

Nowhere in the several Maggio books that I have does he mention singing overtones as a way to find the chop.

And you write that I just "used [the] Louis Maggio method and explained it in twisted way!!!???"

Nice.

No, I am on my 40+ years hunt of finding a better way to play brass instruments.

Whadda buncha maroons some brass players are.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the input.

Now I'll go back to practicing my six octaves.

Later...

S.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Sam, he shows up from time to time to make noise. His past posts are just silliness. Another anonymous scoundrel. I studied the Maggio method and this, indeed, has nothing to do with what he preaches, save for the ah vs. ee business, which ain't singing.

ed

3. Sabutin

Sabutin Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2009
    New York City
    I know...sigh...but thanks anyway.

Sometimes I just have to answer these people.

I mean...what if some 11 year old w/real talent missed something that would help him to get his act together because of one of these sniper types?

Sad...

S.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Awesome!

Sam the sham, the T-bone man, is back with his Looney Tunes chops fixin' plan!

Its sure been boring in your absence, you old goat roper!

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sam Burtis is a very fine trombonist. Let's keep open minds about his theories.
    Wilmer

6. Sabutin

Sabutin Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2009
    New York City
    Why would you think that I am a "sham", gzent? I am always curious about those kinds of allegations. It's not as if you can't find plenty of information about my career on the web. Go here and here for all you really need to know about that.

Is it because I am a lower brass player who has the temerity to speak to trumpet players?

Really.

I refer you to great pan-brass teachers like Carmine Caruso, Arnold Jacobs and Donald Reinhardt for further reference regarding that subject.

So...what is really up with you?

Besides some sort of knee-jerk trumpet player superiority complex, of course.

Inquiring minds want to know.

S.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sam,

Why act as if I am anybody worth caring about, or that I would consider
    your posts as material of a serious nature?

I simply find this whole subject matter;
    "BREAKTHROUGH!!! (I have finally broken the embouchure code. I think.)";
    to be very amusing - in a reality TV sort of way.

As I've said before, I have no doubt you are a nice person and I find your shtick to
    be more entertaining than most threads on TM.

I enjoy the shuck and jive as well as the next guy, so please, commence...

8. Sabutin

Sabutin Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2009
    New York City
    Yeah...but .

I do not enjoy being accused of shucking and jiving...and I do not particularly care whether you are Jesus P. Christmas, the Duke of Wails or Joe Schmo from just outside of Kokomo...and I'm calling you on it.

Got a problem with that?

As the instigator of this little confrontation, you do not get to have a problem with it.

So it goes...

S.

P.S. You "enjoy" this stuff? This little troll game?

OK.

I've had my say and now I'm through playing.

Bye-bye.

Go haunt some other bridge.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Oh, come now Sam, we all know that a great comedian NEVER lets a heckler get the last word!

I paid just as much as anyone else on this site to be entertained by your antics.

Please, tell us again how you fixed some famous trumpet player's chops - what was that guy's name again...Roger, no, uh, Wayne, uh who can remember?

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    ah ae ich etc etc..

isnt singing per se, but the effect on oral cavity is the same, if you sing ah it will loosen your chops, if you sing eee it will tighten your chops. Thats the effect