Breath Attacks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Jan 8, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Why are breath attacks important?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To keep Kingtrumpet at greater than arms length from my personal zone?:dontknow:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously... to vary technique and color of notes. We demonstrate this a lot in my middle school jazz ensemble and have a work book that we use to apply this technique.

4. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Insert mandatory D&D/Fantasy RPG reference re: breath weapons, dragon

Sometimes you don't want a hard attack on a note. I've played in several one-shot orchestras where the director has requested that the brass "back off" on note attacks on some softer sections.

5. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    It's the thing that makes you more powerfull than all other musicians, plus you can do a lot of articulation and other tricks with it.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I can think of two reasons off the top of my head
    1) It helps with response time ... at first you probably get a little bit of air and no sound before the lips start vibratting ..breath attacks help you recougnise and work on getting rid of the gap.
    2) the better the breath attack the less tongue is required for a good attack, which improves speed and reduces cracked notes.
    3) I know I said two but this one just popped up ... strengthens your air support system.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I find the "pooh" attack does more for the chops than the breath only "hooh" attack. The chops need be in just the right position for this to work and provides excellent training for using a softer tongue. I've never had to use a breath attack in performance to "soften the blow" for conductors.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And if you get carried away and use this method in excess, we do have medications for pooh attacks!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hard attacks are more expensive to treat.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Search the net for ....

The Basic Caruso - do the 1st exercise - there's your answer - timing and attack.