Breath Control

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ukcookie, Sep 1, 2005.

1. ukcookie

ukcookie New Friend

Sep 1, 2005
    UK
    Just recently started playing again after many years and glad I did. the biggest frustration to get over was the fact that I still had my playing knowledge (and to a point ability) but endurance etc was pitiful - it is getting better!!!!

But, while researching the best ways of improving endurance and range etc - The internet (wasn't around when I learnt to play) has been fantastic as I have learnt loads of theory about playing which I didn't realise.

Right reason for the post!!!!

Can anyone direct me to a source on breath control and how to create the right pressure to go up the scales. I can play quite happily up to a high C but I think undue pressure on my chops at the higher end = low endurance and the limit on my range.

My current playing requires a high E which I have hit but from straining to and effectively wipes out the rest of my practice so I know I need to change what I do.

I may well go down the route to find a local teacher in the near future but any info you Guys can enlighten me with would be most welcome.

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Get a copy of Claude Gordons "Brass Playing is no harder than Deep Breating".. which explains a lot of theory..

Another one would be John Ridgeon's "How Brass Players do it!"

Both available from June Emersons in the UK.