Breath technique masters

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Aug 15, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Who would you go to watch just to see their breathing technique(if anyone)?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously, Louis Bellson. Sadly he has passed, but if you can watch his videos, watch his breathing as he phrases his drums. He used Aikido for his breathing technique and is gifted at using this technique in plaing his set. I find the same works well for trumpet. I had the great fortune of seeing him up close and personal when backing him up on big band tours. I was on risers right next to him looking down on him as he played. I had the best seat in the house!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    David Blaine... the magician/illusionist. He can go without breathing for 7 minutes. It is a training thing, there are exercises you can do to improve how your body processes oxygen.

4. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    Doc Severinsen , even at 84!

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    +1 on that. I think it's a good idea to look attentively at any player who is good and quite old. A lot of the ways we can use to compensate for subpar breathing/technique are no longer available to them so they have to do it right.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Watching is USELESS. You never see what is really going on in a video. That is why I don't recommend internet lessons. There are so many clues when you are standing next to someone!