Breathing and starving for air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Miyot, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Recalling rowuk's comments on Trumpet players who have trouble breathing, I now realize I am one of them. I have been working in Sigmund Hering's Thirty-two Etudes for Trumpet. Page 21 is one I like and their is no where to breath(like most of the others). I still can't play this up to speed but I mean where do I take a breath. I have been putting in a rit. if that means slow down? And sucking a breath, but I still feel starved for air. It goes by so fast, how do you get a breath between 16th notes at the speed he calls for. Quarter note = 96 Are you supposed to do the entire Etude on one breath. Any tips or help.

2. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    curcular breathing?

3. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I have used the SH 32 Etudes book just for working on breathing. Clark Technical Studies is another great choice. This is a deep subject and probably best if you could work with a teacher.

That starved feeling immediately after taking a breath often comes from not having fully exhaled prior to inhaling. There are some good yoga books that talk about the "complete breath" and how to develop a full cycle of breathing in, out, in, out, etc. Once you have worked with this relaxed state, you may find that you can take in a much greater volume of air than you ever imagined.

This area is tough because becoming air starved tends to make one tense. If you are tense, then you can not take in a full breath when you inhale. Therefore, you are unable to make it to the next breathing opportunity. And, it all goes down hill from there - shorter and shorter phrases, starved for air, and more tension........poor playing.

Circular breathing is a nice technique. I use it extensively, but it is not a solution for poor breathing. It is not something that I would use during etude practice. One of the good things about circular breathing is that it is very difficult to do if you are tense. So, if you can circular breath, you are probably doing a good job of managing tension in your playing.
    I know this sounds kind of nutty, but there are books on this stuff that take it into detail and I'm trying to summarize in a couple of paragraphs.

pat

4. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I appreciate that. Thanks

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I like the Hering books too. The 40 etudes are nice also, and easier than the 32 etudes.

As to your question, heck if I know. I don't play it up to speed either, and when I did work on it, I tackled it in phrases.

1 breath? I bet someone or someones do it. Maybe lots of folks. Not me.

I suppose the "bridge" that gets us from where we are now to "much further along the road" is longer and simpler than any of us would like.

I like Hering's melodies and the way his etudes show off the horn. No doubt a trumpet player wrote them.

6. WhatIsHip?

WhatIsHip? Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2007
    Guilford, CT
    Try the Science of Breath. It's a yoga book.

7. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    Breathing Gym.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Miyot,
    your problem is becoming much more common in these days of free blowing instruments and an obsession with having the BIGGEST, FATTEST sound on earth. Mouthpieces with bored out throats, with cups and backbores that are very large make any of these exercizes very difficult.

There are 2 ways that YOU can stretch a phrase - breathe deeper or play more softly. Anything else may require finding more efficient equipment - that can mean a little less "free blowing" horn or even perhaps a smaller mouthpiece!

I prefer large mouthpieces but advance my students not only for sound, but in a balanced way where range and long phrases have equal weight and consideration.

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I second this....

Great stuff.

The only suggestion I would make is remember to adapt some of the ideas to the smaller instruments we play. You just can't move as much air through a trumpet than you can with a Tuba.

I've always been a "lazy" breather... the Breathing Gym reminds me to work harder. It is in fact a "wind" instrument... LOL

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Great, no easy answers. I can soften my playing some as I have been concentrating on a full round sound. I am sure I can improve my breathing. I have been lazy and putting effort elsewhere. Just goes to show. YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF THE WORK. Thanks
    Dave