Breathing and starving for air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Miyot, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    One of the earlier posts refered to what we call "stale air syndrome" where one cannot get a full breath because a previous breath is not completely exhaled. (residual air)

The references to "tension" and reduced length of phrases and feelings of "starvation" are all excellent.

Solution... as I have found, are in the Arnold Jacobs approach. Please check out the various web sites and books and articles.

Exercise recommended: Inhale with a relaxed, full capacity breath over four very slow counts. Inhale evenly and slowly to full capacity in a relaxed manner.

Play a medium register long tone using up the air comfortably (not straining to get the last 10% out so as to avoid tension.)

Remember...long, slow and relaxed inhalations.

Reduce the inhalation to 3 slow counts and play long tone.

Reduce to 2 slow counts, 1 slow counts, eighth note inhalations, keeping everything relaxed and open.

Over time speed up the tempo of the various breathing counts gradually.

You will find that even at fast tempos you are capable of inhaling a full capacity breath in a very short amount of time assuming the residual air is already used and you are not stacking stale air on top of stale air.

Good luck!

Relax!

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

2. Paul Gorman

Paul Gorman New Friend

Jun 30, 2007
    Bahrain
    Hi Miyot,
    I see you have some very helpful replies. One way I used to develop breath control and duration was to practice a simple hymn tune and play as much as I could on one breath. Then I tried again and found that I could get a bit further. Initially I could do the first half of the tune but within a couple of weeks I found that I could comfortably play the whole tune (16 bars or measures in US parlance) at a steady speed of around 72 crotchets per minute.

Regards
    Paul