Breathing... and trivia

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Sep 7, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- I just finished my first lesson with a young trombonist who has asthma. Knowing that you've worked with Mr. Arnold Jacobs a few years back, would you maybe share some breathing excersises I can show her to help build lung capacity? (She breathes nearly every other measure).

Also--a bit of history, pedagogical trivia or whatever--I found this book in the office where I teach my lessons...I was wondering if you or anyone else has ever heard of it: Lubik-Szodi (with 2 funny lines above the "o" I can't duplicate) Trombitaiskola. It's quite an old copy..2 parts, and the languages (it's in 2) appear to be either Russian (some slavic language, anyway) and German. It show photos on how to hold a trumpet......a rotory trumpet. Anyone?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Is she small of stature? She could try playing things a bit softer.

Does she use an inhalant like Ventolin (albuterol)? That should give her full use of her vital capacity.

Other than that, having her do the full breath and sipping until completely full makes her aware of how much she can take in. Help her become aware of how much she can hold and how quickly she needs to get rid of it.

There are lots of nice breathing exercises scattered throughout cyber space but I think you go a long way by making her aware of what she's capable of.

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    She's fairly large...I don't know what type of meds she uses. I'll try the breath sipping excercise. Thanks.