Breathing Excercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sachamo512, Apr 13, 2010.

1. sachamo512

sachamo512 New Friend

Apr 13, 2010
    I am a senior in high school, and I currently play lead in a big band. My range is pretty good, working on getting a solid double C (yes, the one that is two above the staff) but it's not quite there yet. I can hit it from time to time, depending on the day, but I would say the G below it is pretty consistant, so I'm not too far off.

Anyway, I think my problem is that I do not use enough air speed, or maybe just enough air in general. So I have been working on the Breathing Gym things, but I don't really like those, and I'm not feeling much in the way of results.

I just had All-State Honor Band this weekend, and there was something that our guest conductor had us do that I really liked. Basically, we started with breathing in for 4, then out for 4, then in for 3, out for 3, etc. until we were down to 1. Then we did in 1, out 1, in 1, out 1. (All of this was at a slow tempo, about 60bpm and continuous, no breaks)

After doing that excersise at home for a few days, I really feel like I at least start out using better air, but I eventually go back to my old air habits, haha. I was wondering if there were any other excercises that you guys knew about that I could do at home without my horn, or maybe even at work or school?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

2 things,
    search around the forums for threads on breathing, there are probably hundreds. You'll get more info that way
    also, look up note naming (the note you called double c is generally referred to as high c, and dubba C is an octave above that)

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Lie on your back, and breathe as deep as you can, now blow it out with a small aperture like you are playing the trumpet

he said that he means the c two above the stave, high c is one, double is two.

4. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think he was confused with the "two ledgerline" C, which would be just a high C. All-State? I think he means doubly high C which is the space above the 5th ledger line. I have played in Minnesota's finest honor band but I have never hit that high G right below doubly high C he talks about... (ah!!... My highest ever was the F -- space above 3rd ledger line)

So I only mention that because I'd like some help in breathing as well. :-?

5. sachamo512

sachamo512 New Friend

Apr 13, 2010
    thanks for the fast replies. I appologize for not being clear. Yes, I do mean double C, the one that it two "octaves" above the staff, not two notes above, lol xD

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

AAAH ok,
    :)
    My apologies, I saw "high school" :oops: and assumed...

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    satchmo sez:
    My range is pretty good, working on getting a solid double C (yes, the one that is two above the staff) but it's not quite there yet. I can hit it from time to time, depending on the day, but I would say the G below it is pretty consistant, so I'm not too far off.
    ----------------------
    I could be wrong but do you mean two C's above the staff or two lines above the staff.
    However, this is not important. Check circle of breath and also the science of breath is pretty good. One of the toughest things about trumpet playing is getting control of the breath and controlling tension.
    I would suggest watching (yes watching) videos of Balsom, Mendez, ect. and watch their faces. Eventhough they are playing outragious stuff, their face stays calm and you don't see a loot of straining.
    On a side note, its not impossible that you can play an honest double high C in high school. Thats where my range topped out in my senior year in high school.