BREATHING EXERCISES: Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Trickg, good stuff there. I might look for something to join around here that'll get me into a lap pool.

And thanks, Rowuk, for that really nice "circle of breath." I do a lot of those long tones anyway, might as well pair it up with a focus on breathing and relaxing. It seems to me that it's good to give extra attention to breath control, as that's one of the most essential things to trumpet playing. I think I'll put that in my daily warmup.

About the "toooh" sort of tonguing, as opposed to the "tah" sort that my teacher got me doing first lesson .... I tried that out and I like it a lot better. With "tah", the tongue comes down and that's a good thing I guess for tone and an open throat, but it doesn't really encourage the air to flow right away. With "toooh" it seems like the tongue doesn't go so much down as come back in the throat, encouraging the air to go.

I like that. I'm going to clear it with my private instructor first then switch. I can't imagine he'd mind if it works better for me.

The Turtle

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter needs it all! Why should you not be able to Tooh, Pooh or Dooh? Do you speak with only 2 consonants and one vowel? Of course not. You NEED: T, D, G, R, L, K and A, E, I, O U, Ä, Ö, Ü. Do not settle for less. An articulate trumpeter is one worth listening to!

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We often use way too much air when playing the trumpet. It really takes almost no air at all to get a buzz on the instrument -- take the tuning slide out of the trumpet and hold the trumpet in one hand and your mouthpiece against your lips with the other hand. Blow through your lips into the mouthpiece but don't buzz them, just a whisper of breath. While doing that, slowly (and carefully!) move the trumpet receiver over the mouthpiece without contacting the mouthpiece to add pressure and you'll find that the leadpipe will start to buzz on it's own. You can be sure you're not doing it with your lips by moving the trumpet in and out -- with it pulled out the buzz will stop, with it moved a millimeter or two in it will start to buzz, all with you blowing just a whisper of air.

Armed with that experience, put the slide in the horn, put the mouthpiece in the horn, gently hold the mouthpiece against your lips and softly blow to get a 2nd-line G sound and then once it starts reduce the pressure you're blowing with and you'll find that you can do a whole lot of sound with very little air.

One approach to breathing practice (without the horn) is to hold one hand with thumb and index finger in a circle and hold it up to your mouth. Open your mouth as wide as that circle and then breath in using your abdominal muscles without taking a huge breath. Once you get comfortable with this inhalation, do it with the instrument in your hand and immediately (thinking about Rowuk's circle-of-breath comments which you definitely should read) start to play.

When my students reach a higher passage they have difficulty (the actual height of the passage will vary from student to student) I remind them to breathe that way (I tell them at that point to open their mouth wide enough to insert their mouthpiece) and invariably they either play the higher passage easily or they overshoot and play higher than they thought because it's so much easier with the proper breath inside.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:

"Why should you not be able to Tooh, Pooh or Dooh?"

It's early in the morning here and I got a nice laugh out of that. Thanks. I get the point.

And Markie and dhbailey, thanks for the advice on buzzing with the MP and leadpipe only. I've seen that post before, Markie, and tried this. It's very informative. You really can't hide the pressure you use .... Good way to find a nice "pressure spot." Very helpful.

Turtle