Breathing from the diaphragm...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by edcon1981, Aug 22, 2008.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

AHHHHHH..... :roll:

To help with the young mans question though... there is a ton of breathing information already posted on this site... go up to the search engine and do a search for "circle of breath" when you get to a post written by ROWUK... read it carefully... then apply it. :play: Just keep in mind, nothing is going to be fixed over night... it is going to take alot of practice and up keep on your part! But as long as you have fun with it... you will do fine!! :thumbsup:

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    From Fourth Chakra - Heart Chakra - Green - New Age

"The heart chakra is the fourth chakra, and is represented by the color green. In some people who have developed the ability to be unconditionally loving, the heart chakra becomes a rosy pink. This is the chakra of love, romance, relationships and communication.

If your heart chakra is healthy, you will both be able to empathize with others as well as accept love and friendship into your own life. You will have good friends who you get along with, and will be able to form loving relationships. You will also be compassionate towards yourself.

If your heart chakra is unhealthy, you will have trouble maintaining friendships and finding love. It might be that you feel lonely or are hard on yourself. It might also be that you are obsessive and domineering, or closed off, 'cold hearted'.

To help open your heart chakra, try working with green stones such as jade or aventurine. To be kinder and more loving towards yourself try rose quartz or mangano calcite. See a beautiful pink flower opening at your heart. Rose and geranium essential oil can help here. This will help draw friendship and romance into your world.

If the problem is that you are jealous or possessive it's time to cool things down. Interestingly, because this is the central chakra, you also use green to bring it down as well - your aim here is to focus more on the love, and less on the control. You need to learn to trust. You may sometimes feel too sensitive. At these times visualise the pink flower gently closing for a while, but don't leave it closed, it is important we all learn to work from the heart."

As Zappa said: "I ain't got no heart to give away..."

Double C's aren't green. :cool:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    edcon,
    this is something that a decent teacher can get you doing in 5 minutes (and then beat you up for 6 months because the body is "resistent").
    I am a strong believer in NOT trying to solve breathing issues alone. The success rate is just too low.

My "Ray of Power" is not located where the sun does not shine. It is between my ears and helps me read sheet music in the dark churches here in Europe. It being on constant, prominent display does cause problems with people that think it is my ego................ ;-)

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Shoulders and chest be relaxed and not moving when taking in air.breathe deeply using your diaphragm muscles, your stomach should expand some, then push the air gently at first using your Abs until you start hearing improvement.

5. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    thanx for all your help guys. sorry i didn't write back, i was away on business.

i managed to take a little from all of your posts and i think i'm getting the hang of it. for the most part it is an improvement and i feel my endurance increasing, but i do still use my neck and throat to squeeze out those high notes. i practiced in front of a mirror last night and could see at what point i stop using my diaphragm and start forcing the notes out with alternat ways.

and don't feel bad et mike, my ray of power smelled like burnt rubber and onions!! :thumbsup:

Brassman64 likes this.
  6. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    I think Maynard use to say breath from your knees. Basically take a deep breath fill your lungs and when exhaling push your abs out from below your diaphragm.It is very easy to support your tones in the upper register vs just breathing from your chest and neck.You will also be able to play louder with less effort and once you can control your muscles softer tones are easier too.I once played in a Jazz ensemble our lead player could play triples one handed with his head cocked to the side using this breathing technique.But Danny was in my opinion a freak of nature.

7. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    This man has written a lot on breathing. He has given masterclasses on the subject all over the world, including Juilliard where he taught Alessi and his students breathing techniques.

http://kimballtrombone.com/breathing/

8. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    The problem is we dont and you dont know if the drum major was correct.

It is usual for people who gain a little knowledge to see the issue they just learned about in everyone whether that is true or not.

Is your drum major knowledgeable in this area of breathing, can he make this diagnosis and has he observed you correctly or is this simply what he says to everyone, his preferred pet diagnosis.

First of all I have been breathing "from the diaphragm" for years so I can help a little. observe yourself breathing normally, gaze down as you breathe, does your chest expand or does your stomach expand as you breathe in. Dont try to make it happen just observe.

If your chest expands you are breathing with the upper part of your lungs and your drum major is correct, if your stomach is expanding and your chest is not expanding then he is wrong and you are breathing correctly with the lower part of your lungs.

The fact that you have no knowledge of whether you breathe correctly would suggest that you are breathing from your chest, that is the usual way that people breathe until they learn the "approved" way.

I have never heard of breathing from the chest leading to higher notes and sharper static-ey playing, air is air wherever it comes from. The result of breathing from the upper part of the lungs is simply reduced lung capacity in my opinion.

This leads me to suspect that his diagnosis is not worth the paper it is rotten on, on the other hand his diagnosis could still be wrong but the conclusion he presented correct.

There are exercises that you can do that will promote correct breathing and that will inflate the lower part of the lungs leading to greater lung capacity. Singers know these. The search "How do I breathe from the diaphragm" provides the necessary advice.

If you conclude you need work in this area then try those exercises.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    One word of warning: a natural inhale of a big breath needs the rib cage big, otherwise the air quantity is limited. We can discuss how to make the chest cavity big and when to do this. If we do not raise our shoulders to make our chest cavity bigger, then there is some room for upward activity too.

I personally believe in a prepared body, but more importantly in low tension. That means, when watching me breathe, you see motion in all directions - not just at gut level. Granted there is not a huge inflation during the inhale, but it is an organic pattern of movement that lets me exhale to play, not to relieve tension! I have posted this here in great detail with my Circle of Breath philosophy. Search for it if you wish.

Brassman64 likes this.
  10. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    That is all true even how you position your feet and bend your knees, your posture straight back arms up throat open.These are all things we do in preparation without thinking.iIt should be a comfortable and relaxed stance.Almost everything applies the same when you are seated too.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017