Breathing issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Dec 21, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have that gut feeling that this was kinda towards me :duh:....Nahhhh

2. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    It is sooo easy for people to get confused and have different beleifs, on what they have been told/read. Its really about what "YOU" know.

Heres what i mean...
    When i first got my old beat up 193? Martin Troubador for $60 to start learning i also aqquired some old books as well, i cant remember what they were called now they are at my aunts house. Anyway both of those books raved about how important it was to breath down filling up the abdomin and using the diaphram to push it out etc. Which i believed (why not, it was there in B&W and i didnt know sh#@t, i was just a beginner.

Fast forward to today and when i got the Arbans book, first thing i did was sit down and read the introductions VERY IMPORTANT! When i got to the section on breathing It said in the original text "In inhaling, the stomach should not swell, but rather contract in proportian to the chest which expands". Previously i though i was to breath in to the diaphram and fill from the bottom up, this was telling me something else! Then the foot note by Goldman re-affirmed my previous belief that the diaphramic system was used universally and that it was know to be the best bla bla bla.

THEN, the following footnote by C Gordon states "The original text is more correct than the Goldman footnote. It is now known that so-called Diaphragmatic breathing is a misnomer: the power is generated from the chest muscles"

There you have it! First i beleived my books which stated Diaphramic breathing was the way, then i read in the Arban book that the chest is the way,... Then, the Goldman foot note put me back on the Diaphramic way, then Thankfully good old Claude Gordon cleared it all up and said no the chest way is the way.

So it just goes to show.... The most up-to date info is very important!

Of course having a teacher would have cleared all this up right? maybe and maybe not as long as the teacher is not "too old" and stuck in the old way of thinking. lol. and has up to date methods!

Now imagine i had got a teacher who is from the old school he would still be teaching me to breath from my diaphram crap, which is now we know a misnomer.

Anyway this is kinda like watching news in the USA, watch and read all the stories from vastly different sources... then make your own mind up! Don't always believe what you are told!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, not at all codyb. I too have been on the receiving end of a Rowuk sting, Oh but when you really HEAR it, it hurts so good!

4. herald4444

herald4444 New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Playing with an open throat is a good idea.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I seem to get that a lot...

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Well, at this moment I am working very hard, I am working through the fundamentals of the horn player interface (or more eloquently --putting the horn to the face) --- and at times (after the boring stuff has been handled -- although I try to make long tones and lips slurs fun -- but sometimes it is necessary agony of "doing it" that gets results.) -- and after all the hard work, and the hours or repetition -- and battling the aging body --- I am quite impressed with the end result --- thus far.
    BUT - if I look for a teacher in the future I will keep both of you and rowuk in mind - Of course I would surpass your expectations of what one could do between lessons -- but then again -- I am KT --- ROFL ROFL ROFL, OK, I would surpass expectations if the body holds up that week --- yes there is always a weak link to that horn player interface --- BUT rest assured the weak link in NOT the KING trumpet - ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Look up the anatomy of the throat and then tell us what we can "open" up. Then figure out, if we can open and close the throat, how are we going to keep our playing consistent.

Fact is, nothing opens or closes. Those that have not invested any time in this myth confuse it with a relaxed upper body. Check that out. It is the truth and ultimately more productive!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I just hate to waste time. Thanks anyway! Christmas has also been fun. Christmas Oratorio yesterday with the Telemann Concerto for 3 trumpets. Opera/operetta today and tomorrow. No lessons until the second week of January. It is great occasionally to concentrate on ME.

All of you the merriest of Christmases and a happy New Year.