Breathing/Tounging problem?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rezamozaffarinia, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Rezamozaffarinia

Rezamozaffarinia New Friend

Jun 21, 2008
    Tehran
    Hi,
    I am a beginner student & my teacher just found out that when i do the tounging exercises, the bottom of my chin drops & also my neck on the adams apple/above moves ,
    He has instructed me to practice in front of a mirror and correct it, i have been trying for a few days and it doesnt seem to get any better,
    If anyone can tell me about the reason for this and how to overcome this problem, i'd really appreciate a reply.

Thank You!

R.

2. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hi Rez,

I'm by no means the most knowledgeable player on this forum, but if you don't mind that I offer suggestions:

One of the best tips I read here was that "tonguing" is simply a matter of interrupting the air flow. In the lower register I accomplish this touching the tip of my tongue to the roof of my mouth. In the higher register, I have the tip of my tongue braced against my lower lip, so I touch the roof of my mouth with the "middle" of my tongue.

Many beginners tongue by pushing their tongue between their lips. This is more than is necessary, and disrupts your embrochure. This also gives many beginners that "blat, blat" sound when tonguing.

Don't think of it as trying to plug the sink, think of it as passing your finger through the flow of water.:D

Steve

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We use our tongue when eating or talking, and it is common for the jaw to move along with the tongue. Training the jaw to stay still takes some time; a mirror helps. Just relax and let the music happen.

Have fun!

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I think if you minimise and relax your tongue movement this excess will start to go away. An interuption of the air air flow, is definitely good advice.

5. Rezamozaffarinia

Rezamozaffarinia New Friend

Jun 21, 2008
    Tehran
    Thanks very much for the advice,

I did try to relax and minimize my tounge movement (& specialy tried to avoid any contact with lips) in last night and todays exercise and voila', it looks like there is finaly some improvement,

and well, as silly as it sounds i never thought about the actual direction of the tounge and where it lands/takes off from, i have already started experimenting with this & i'm hoping to find out which one works best for me. a pretty exciting task actualy :thumbsup:

Appreciativelyyyy R.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  6. mamsbestrumpeter

mamsbestrumpeter New Friend

Jul 11, 2008
    First off I dont reccomend tounging for warm ups. Buzz without tounging. I had that problem just recently. As for the chin drop. I reccomend you catch yourself when your about to drop your chin.....slow down the notes you are playing and then when you feel your chin is about to drop, stop it, repeat this until you break your habbit. Personaly Ive only been playing for 3 years, and as a professional for 1.Hope this info helps

mamsbestrumpeter:play:

7. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    someone is paying to hear you play after only 2 years? you must be a trumpet god...