Breathing Warmups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jan 28, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I use a torso twist excercise followed by an excercise where I breath in for 4 counts (at 60bpm) and out for 4, then in for 5 out for 5, in for 6 out for 6, ect. I do this until I get to 10 in and out. This is done everyday before I play (along with buzzing now).

Should I be doing more breathing excercises? Different ones or just more of this excercise daily?

I was also looking to see if anyone has any specific breathing excercises for high note playing. Things that might help get better air for higher playing rather than just breathing excercises in general.

Thanks for reading.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I don't have a better suggestion, but I have a question. When you breathe in, do you breathe slowly so that you barely reach lung capacity at the end of the count cycle so that you can immediately start the exhale cycle with no pause (I think this is the essence of the "Circle of Breath" technique advocated by Rowuk) or, do you hold your breath between cycles? I think I will start trying this exercize to see if it works for me. Would it help to use the mouthpiece as an airflow restrictor for this?

3. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    No, this exercise is good enough. It gets the air flowing like we want it to; however, there are more breathing exercises if you want to do them. I wouldn't really do any more than 5 minutes of breathing exercises a day at most, personally; however, top level drum corps groups do the entire Breathing Gym DVD every morning before they do anything else which is not a bad investment though doing it every day is overkill for someone not currently marching drum corps where the necessity for top-level breathing is necessary.