Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hello Manny,
    Happy Easter and God Bless you and yours. I hope all is well. So, I've had a problem creep into my playing and I dunno how to deal with it. We've all read tehy books on how to inhale and Bobby Shew's Wedge technique, hatha yoga, and all the others. My problem is the exhale, I've read all these books and done all these "tricks" but it always seem to me that the longer I play, the more air I have left over inside of me. And whenever I push it all out, I can't grab enough in to support... does that make sense? The longer I go playing the less and less air I can grab, the more my chest hurts from airbuilt up and the less sound, more pressure I use and start to shake... It's quite irritating since my main gig is lead playing and I'm kinda posed to sayin' this job is easy. Anyhelp (from anyone) would be appreciated. Thxs for your time and help/knowledge, it's a treat to have you on this board.

Tim

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Tim,

Sounds like we got ourselves a big ol' bear with whole lot o' carbon dioxide built up and nowhere to go!

First, thanks for the kind Easter wishes and wish you and yours the same.

Now, I wonder you simply don't just need to play longer phrases on your inhales and not retake quite so much. I don't want you to run on empty because you'll experience the same but for different reasons. Give that a shot and one more thing: I'm going to bet you're bearing down when you're playing instead of really getting rid of the air under less pressure. In other words, even lead players can relax when they play so, as you exhale pull that stomach way in and support that way rather than stiffen the stomach. Think of the way a bellows looks when it inflates and deflates.

Try those two little things and let us know if you get yourself some relief.

ML

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Longer phrases I could try but I'm pretty musicial with the phrasing that is written/dictated. As far as

"I'm going to bet you're bearing down when you're playing instead of really getting rid of the air under less pressure. In other words, even lead players can relax when they play so, as you exhale pull that stomach way in and support that way rather than stiffen the stomach. "

I don't really follow. Do you mean NOT to tighten the abs and other stomach muscles to support the air??? I do try to relax when I play, part of the whole "make this look easy" deal, but I know there is always room for improvement. Thxs for your thoughts, I'll give 'em a try and touch base with you again at a later date. For now, it's late and I have class tomorrow. School suxs. Adios.

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tim,

Si, amigo! When you tighten up on the exhale and hold the abs firm you lose support. You have to allow the abs to move inward same as they do when you sneeze or cough for the same reasons. To support the expulsion of air. Sigh as if you just found out bad news and feel what your abs do... now, try it and bear down and keep them tight. See? It's fairly impossible to sigh.

ML

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    That's the most clear explanation I've heard for the reason tensing the abs is bad - cheers Manny!

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jack,

I'm happy that worked for you as an explanation. The older I get, the more different ways I develop of saying the same things over and over.

And now for something altogether different...

Calling all UK types!

We Yanks have our conceptions and misconceptions about trumpet playing in the UK and I wonder if you, David, Mike, and the other Brits would take fingers to keyboard and give us a tutorial of sorts regarding your styles of orchestral trumpet playing?

Maybe you could talk about legendary and current players that one could point to as purveyors of UK school/s of orchestral playing. If you're so disposed I'd be happy for you all to start the thread here or in Robert's section for Orchestral playing. I would be much obliged for you to do so.

Perhaps we could once a month have the posters of various cultures begin ongoing threads about stylistic differences in playing. Next month could be German, then Austrian, French, Italian, etc.

I have to say that the most interesting viewpoints would be your own without your feeling the need to link to this or that site. Your experiences and traditions are what would be most fun to hear even if it included a teacher "Oh, don't play it that way... you'll sound like a bloody Yank if you do!"

Anyway, how about it?

ML

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Manny - sounds like a great idea.

I am very very unqualifed to talk about these things, so it's probably better if someone else chimes in first! I'll have a think about various things my teachers have told me, and then maybe post up something.

I could probably manage a list of UK players who blow my socks off though, watch this space!

8. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    :D :D :D

A sneeze!!!! Now its perfectly clear!

Thanks Manny!

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Howdy Manny,
    So I tried the not tightening the abs deal... It still seems like I'm not gettin' all my air out though. Plus, now at softer volumes I'm starting to subtone or get a really airy sound.

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bear,

You know I think it's a better idea if you just go back to what you were doing and if you get up to Minneapolis like you mentioned you might, we can sit down and work it out. This internet thing can be confusing without the live experience.

So, let's hope we can get together... until just practice and have fun with the horn as you always have.

Later,

ML