Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    grrrr... roger.

no one loves tim...

j/k

2. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    That ain't true Tim!!!

Here's a big wave for you!!

:wave:

Blessings,

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    So, I've been doin' the support thingy and all. Now I find that get lightheaded and almost feel about to faint when playing.... and I know that ain't right... lol

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tim,

Like I said...

ML

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Tim- The same thing happened to me once upon a time at an audition. Tcaik 4 intro nearly put me down for the count. In retrospect, I was pushing WAY too hard. Read Manny's signature line, and apply that to your airstream. Just breathe in big and relax. Your body will do what's necessary.

Second thought: re-read his posted response...it says it all.

Third thought: I used to do this, and don't really anymore (although I should): Exhale all of your air, then hold your breath. Then push out any more leftover and hold again until you ALMOST can't stand it. The open up, andd stop the inhale with the back of your hand against your mouth, and then release it to inhale again. This teaches you what a big, fast breath feels like. Fill all the way, and release by pushing through a whistle or trumpet playing embouchre. Try one more time, but replace with a buzz, descending glissando octave from concert Bb. Hold the low Bb, then glissando up again. If that doesn't work for you, stop doing it.
    -Glenn