Breathing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by adamrapa, Jul 12, 2008.

1. adamrapa

adamrapa New Friend

Jun 17, 2008
    Seattle
    Hi everyone. I guess the biggest reason why I wanted to join this community is to throw out a few questions every once in a while, then kick back and see where it goes....

First one:

Do you spend time on focused breathing each day - of any kind? A few deep, mindful breaths to start the day, or the practice session? The Breathing Gym routine? Pranayama Yoga? Any other kind of Yoga? Any sort of activity that brings attention to your breath, whether it be to simply expand your lung capacity or to go deeper, quiet and focus your mind, anything?

Please don't feel like this is a rhetorical question - I'm not interested in pushing my own lifestyle on anyone else - but I'm curious to see how many of you actually have some type of a daily routine involving mindful breathing, and if so, what it entails - what benefits you experience from it, etc...

I wish you all the best,

Adam

rowuk likes this.
  2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    If I do anything for exercise it is treadmill work at the YMCA. I used to swim and will get back to it before summer is out. That answers the question.

I always try to breath correctly no matter what I am playing.
    That is, I make an effort to move the gut out so I can maximize intake to the lungs.
    I pressurize with the upper abdominal muscle for high notes and stay relaxed on low notes.

My mother was a vocal music teacher. I listened to her teach breathing but it wasn't until I started reading about it in a text book did I know I was doing it right. I also went to the "Body Worlds III" exhibit in St. Louis and they had a display on breathing with plastisized lungs and diaphragm. That helped a lot to understand what is to be done other than taking yoga classes. Yoga, singing, trumpet playing it is the same breathing technique.

I am working on Flight of the Bumble Bee since hearing you play it at trumpet guild so that is my technical and breathing exercise. I can't play it but trying to is great exercise. My latest range book is by Keith Johnson called, "Progressive studies for the High Register." It is a lot more satisfying than Chas Colin, "Advanced Lip Flexibilities." I use these exercises to improve the tongue level skill you and Chris Jaudes demonstrated. It was an ah-ha moment.
    I expect you to put on a tongue level clinic next year at ITG 34.

I lived a few blocks north of Green Lake years ago and I hope you enjoy walks or runs around the lake as I did. The smell of cocao butter is wonderful. I also lived in Renton, Bellevue and Everett.

Thank you for coming to ITG 33. I have since looked up Micheal Bogart. I wish you could have put him on the spot and had him perform.

Have your girl friend look up Dance St. Louis so you can move here to St. Louis.
    PM me if you want more reasons.

King

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was a big fan of the Oakland Raiders back in the first part of the 70's, and their quarterback, Kenny Stabler, threw some real, real ugly passes for completions. Sidearm, underarm, whatever--he tossed the ball out where his receivers could grab on to it.

I am not so much a fan for mindful breathing, as I am for mindful exhaling. Part of that involves that moment in time when the inhalation turns and becomes the exhalation, and as a trumpeter, I admire the real, real ugly passes from Kenny Stabler. If I seek to make music, in practice and in performance, the air is there, by whatever means.

The product is more important than the technique.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Adam, welcome to TM!

I am looking forward to your posts - your playing is pretty awesome!

Any time during the day that I feel "tired", I take a couple of big breaths, seems to get my system going again.
    When practicing, I pay attention to my "circle of breath". Inhaling is the left side of the circle and exhale/play is the right. The transition from one state to another is round like the circle - no bumps. This is also what I teach.

5. trotter14

trotter14 New Friend

Jun 22, 2008

Our marching band does breathing exercises every practice for at least 20 minutes.

6. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    Hi

Could you please describe those exercises?

Thanks!

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In the June 2008 isue of the ITG journal was included an excerpt for junior players. In that excerpt is an article pertaining to proper breathing. I gave my isasue to my 13 year old female associate who has tha bad habit of grabbing,( gasping ), a small add on breath at each rest shown on the chart. The result is that she is keeping a large amount of CO2 in her lungs that is totally useless to her for sustainance or for continued playing. Hopefully, she will amend her ways and learn to exhaust her lungs prior to taking a deep breath, and let that sustain her for the entire phrase.

OLDLOU>>

8. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Adam, what do you do? Could you share? Thanks!

MR

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    OK, here is a fun breathing exercise: Imagine bouncing a basketball, with each bounce a little higher than the one before. Now do this with inhalation, each breath a little bigger than the one before. The tempo will be slower than the bouncing basketball, but we can start to get more and more air in our lungs. At our maximum, the shoulders will rise (as a symptom, not a cause) and we'll have packed in as much air as our lungs can hold.

The trick, however, lies in the blowing out.

Have fun!

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    To be honest the answer is no. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this stuff!