Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKtrumpet, Aug 3, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    A member of the American Brass Quintet who I studied with encouraged me to take "sniff" breaths through my nose in passages where there wasn't enough time to take a breath that required breaking the embouchure. In practice, I find that I take a more relaxed initial breath if I start it with my nose and then transition to a regular breath. It's also easier/more natural to initiate a breath through your nose if you are nervous in performance...at least for me. I believe nose breathing is also a central aspect of Yoga relaxation techniques, but I'm no expert.

2. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    It would be an asset if you are having trouble reaching the ends of phrases without taking a breath. I could see it being great for someone who's lost a lung or a young child.

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Yes, of course, people do circular breathing on the trumpet. It is hardly just a didgeridoo thing. I think Kenny G has some kind of record for longest note played while circular breathing (45 minutes?), but sax and trumpet are completely different in terms of sound production and circular breathing. It isn't all that hard for an advancing player to learn to do. My teacher taught me circular breathing 20 some years ago and (like everything else) it was just a matter of practice to get it down. But I've always considered it to be "stupid human tricks" category. (A la David Letterman's "stupid pet tricks" - not suggesting that people that do it are stupid.)

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Since I didn't ask my friend Russ for an explanation (of HOW to circular breathe), was wondering if someone could give a short, "how it's done?"

Turtle

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Jon!

That Wikipedia entry is a great explanation. From that, I guess a person has to "store air in the cheeks" at a crucial point ......

I just spent 2 weeks CORRECTING a puffing cheek problem ..... Aiyyy. :shhh:

Turtle

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez about breathing through the nose v. the mouth when playing;
    "Only when we practice both can they be freely interchanged".
    ---------
    Ain't that the truth!
    Once you get use to using both, you don't think about it (unless you're circle breathing).

8. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Turtlejimmy,
    I don't think you should worry about consciously breathing through the corners of your mouth. When your embouchure is set (if you don't breathe through your nose), you will naturally breathe through the corners of your mouth. Don't try to consciously open up the corners- this might be the problem.

To see what I mean, try this. As you are reading this, make your normal embouchure with just your lips (no mouthpiece, horn). Now run one of your fingers from one end of your mouth to the other. You'll notice that there are naturally small openings in the corners, and where the flap of your lips meet in the middle, it is pretty much sealed. When you couple this with the fact that the middle of your lips are deeper inside the cup, you can realize that when you take a quick breath, there's really no way you could be taking a breath from anywhere other than the corners.

So to sum it up- just breathe! It will be through your corners unless you make a conscious effort to do something else.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey LakerJazz!

Thanks! I get that. Anything to simplify the mechanics is a real blessing. I'm going to stop thinking about it. :D

The Turtle