Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Oct 5, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm relatively sure that Rowuk will provide a comment very adequately covered by David Monette (of Monette Trumpets) in the following link - read, absorb, relax, breathe, advance ...

David G. Monette Corporation

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Yes. However, this is not the same as breathing shallowly into the upper chest, which is what you and Ska are referring to.

There are many of us who breathe quite deeply and still raise the shoulders a bit to top off the tank as it were.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with lifting your shoulders when you breathe, and it is NOT to be confused with what you call breathing from the shoulders.

3. trumpetgirl13

trumpetgirl13 New Friend

Oct 6, 2010
    Hamilton
    that's why I sad to each their own , I was just explaining what works for me... sorry if i didn't use the exact words, I should have said through my chest, as well as raisin my shoulders.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good stuff, that. Highly informative, not just a bunch of sales material. However, it is not easy to imagine that they've got the MP formula right, especially for a "centered pitch" but nobody else has. Not sure I believe that, but they are only a short drive north of here ..... I may have to go take a look.

Turtle

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Breathe out first.

Especially in the beginning when you are getting concerned about your breathing, breathe out first and then allow the air to come in. When you breathe in, let the air fill front, back and sides.

Work first on playing one phrase. Do this several times so that you are able to blow freely through the notes. Next step is to play two phrases. When you get to your first breath mark: stop, breathe out and then in. Continue with this gradually adding one phrase at a time, so that each phrase is played as freely as the first. Then start reducing the gap time between phrases, then start removing each "breathe out".

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes! We've talked about this in lessons ... Breathing is so important to the beginner (6 mo.) that I'm marking in breath spots in music I'm reading, as well as the occassional "breathe out" mark. If we are always breathing in, even though we still have air, it gets stale, and can make us tired. Expelling the breath now and then helps with this.

Turtle

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I was going to write a short blog on this, then realized - duh - I already had one!

8. ztrumpet1

ztrumpet1 New Friend

Sep 4, 2009
    Chattanooga TN
    I think there is some good advice in some of these posts, but here are some things to consider. The way we breathe while playing the trumpet is heightened and more intense than you may be utilizing when you are playing trumpet. Your teacher must be trying to get some intensity from your air by the exercises he has you doing. As trumpet players we must get the same positivity in our exhale that we get from our inhale. It is possible that you could be taking in the best breath ever, but it is how it leaves your body thats probably most important. There are some awesome air flow workouts in the DVD the Breathing Gym. Check it out.( there are many more ways to practice this) After you have worked on air flow exercises make sure you are careful not to play to loud while you are practicing, which can be easy to do when your air is pumping. Always strive for solid centered beautiful sounds.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Stand-up straight, balance your body weight, grip the ground with your soul then - talk or shout or sing or trumpet, why do you need to analyse breathing - it's something you must have been getting right all your life, otherwise you would be dead. ;-)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  10. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    When you breathe to live you are not breathing in a way that helps you establish a solid air column - you simply breathe in to satisfy your oxygen needs.

About raising shoulders - they can be raised, but to first get an idea how a necessary breath feels like, a good way is to force the shoulders to be still - that automatically causes one to breathe from bottom to top and not just to top. Keeping shoulders still when I play or sing ( I sing I tenor in a men's choir - that ultimately REQUIRES from me to breathe correctly to reach those high notes without damaging my vocal coords too much ) has become pretty much a second nature for me. It's what I have been experimenting with alot in the choir practice.