Breathing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    I really struggle with taking deep enough breaths during playing. I often run out of air and my tone and accuracy is effected by this. My trumpet teacher says that I must have very strong lungs as I have a very powerful sound and therefore I can force air out of my lungs with a lot of strength. But I never take in enough air for long phrases. Are there any exercises I can do to improve my breathing and lung capacity?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do these exercises before each practice. Standing up... put your arms down to your legs. Now begin inhaling while you bring your arms up above your head... the biggest breath you can take (arms still up)

Now breathe in three more short breaths... yep... you can do it.

Now, breath out all the breathe you have as you bring your arms down to your legs.... then pause

Now breath out three more short breaths... yes you can do it.

Repeat this 4 times (a total of 5)... Now go through your warm ups with confidence... you just recruited ALL your tidal volume. It doesn't get any better than that.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, now that you have optimal tidal volume... when you are approaching a phase that needs support (due to volume or range)... take your first breath in while lifting your shoulders up. Then RELAX your shoulders and play. If you don't relax, you will likely valsalva...(it's a natural instinct to do this when you fully inhale). By relaxing you defeat this urge... because if you valsalva, you will decrease the blood flow to the brain by decreasing cardiac output, and if you do this... the worse possible thing will happen:

you will start thinking like Kingtrumpet..

AND the second most bad think will happen... you may pass out.

Now add this to the Vulgano Brother Ray of Power... and you have the Gmonady Raw of Power! You will be invincible... you will rule the trumpet world....

Mwhaaa... hah.... hah.... hah....hah.... hah... hah!

4. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Sometimes, it is a lack of efficiency. Aperture control along with the proper airstream really helps with endurance and playing longer phrases. BTW lungs don't produce strength. It is acquired by using the entire system as efficiently as possible. From your description, it sounds like you take a big enough breath, but you don't control it well enough.

Practicing something like Clarke's Tech. studies No. 1 at the prescribed pp volume marking with a full breath gives you an idea of where you are with your breath control, aperture control and dynamics.

Pete

5. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hey Guys,

After having a Medronic pacer fitted quite recently, breathing has for me become quite valuable for different reasons.
    Idea.... Don't just suck in little breaths..... suck in with all your might then release it gently,gently,gently.
    Then...... thank God you can.

Currently stuck in Mali without a trumpet or mouthpiece. 22 days off the face. Yikes!!!!!

Think I'll have another Beer.

Cheers,

Paul

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now some people like GM here might assume thinking like KT (Kingtrumpet) is a detriment to your musical abilities. I will however concur that thinking like me is actually advantageous to your overall musical consistency in all things TRUMPET!!! --- now when you do all these breathing tricks -- there is one last thing you can do to get a little "extra" air. When you get to the end of a passage and you only have 2 notes left, you can actually squeeze your tummy, and you will have the extra air you need!! --- now, still be relaxed, but when you tighten the tummy you will find more air support for those extra notes!!! try it, you'll see!!!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    FYI trumpetplayer24 -- this is GM with his breathing tips (no scratch that, I think this is GM's video of eanother activity that requires some straining -- but only for a few minutes in the morning -- before shaving and showering) ROFL ROFL ROFL I think VB is narrating the activity -- for some seriously UNKNOWN reason --- now this is how they teach breathing during straining --- -something you don't want to do TP24 --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQUwdS0JF7Y

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've a different take. So, we drop the diaphragm, creating a situation in which the air pressure in our lungs is lower than the room. Air goes into our lungs. The air has no choice but to come rushing into our lungs, unless we create extra tension by trying to suck it in. In a very real sense, the air breathes us.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And I've a different take via my pulmonologist ... get rid of excess weight. You do not want fat displacing the optimum space of your lung occupancy. Nothing you can do will increase the size of your lungs except what has developed naturally. In the critical moment of life sustaining breath you can inhale vis gasp, but the ability to exhale diminishes to zero without medical intervention.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is well described, and is the true physics behind breathing... where I come from, it's called Physiology.