Brian Lynch finally is ready to introduce a new CD!

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by BADBOY-DON, Feb 4, 2004.

1. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
  2. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Brian Lynch has an electric CD out now. Also,
    A new Sharp Nine release called: Brian Lynch Meets Bill Charlap

He also co-leads a date with Conrad Herwig called:
    Another Kind Of Blue: The Latin Side of Miles Davis..... Live At The Blue Note

Buy all of these records if you get a chance... Brian is a world-class jazz trumpeter and the last trumpeter/musical director in the last version of The Jazz Messengers when Art passed on in October of 1990.

On a more humorous note...he's the first major trumpeter I know who endorsed Monette trumpets completely that moved his endorsement to another major trumpet brand. A few have followed his lead since!! Is the Monette craze coming to an end????? Funny thing is that I see more and more players using Monette mpcs..... Just haven't seen a Monette tpt in a while.... A few years ago they were floating around all over the place!

-C-

3. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    The Latin Side of Coltrane

Right on! :D
    Brian and Conrad have another old CD that was truly a hammer of an album.
    The album is THE LATIN SIDE OF JOHN COLTRANE
    "The formost thought about this special album...is the presence of the spirit of John Coltrane, as stated "His musical genius and spiritual vision made this album a piece of musical perfection and art supremo'...
    You can hear the affection and admiration from this assembly of musicians that put this CD on the keeper list.

Conrad on bone---is an ANIMAL...and hosted not only Brian Lynch but also other great trumpet musician with trumpet voices to match.
    Ray Vega
    Mike Ponella
    Alex Sippagin
    stir the sooooooop with the likes of Eddie Palmieri, Richie Flores and Jose Clausell....etc.

THIS IS LATIN AT IT'S FINEST!!

It never ceases to amaze me when folks like Brian, Ray, Mike get togetha'~~~~~~these brass birds of a featha' really set the rythmn in motion.
    What impressed me most about this CD.....is the stamina of Conrad Herwig as he keeps the heat turned up constantly and consistently with that big ol' Bach Strad-bone of his....WHAT A LIP!!! AND A SET OF LUNGS TO MATCH! But to show off his lyrical side---his bone solo on "After the Rain" is pure liquid golden honey in sound.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I dont think he is the first to go back, both Payton and Hargrove got rid of their Monettes along time ago, but i think you do have a good point.
    why do you think this shift has started?

badboy, you are right on about conrad. I saw him a few years ago with Joe Henderson and he was smoking. Joe was ill that night and they started the show 30 minutes late, Joe didnt play that much and when he did it was pretty soft spoken, Conrad more than made up for any slack that might have been there energy wise.

5. CJDJazzTpt

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    I could be wrong but I think the shift is going towards lighter horns. Not necessarily 'lightweight' horns but LIGHTER horns. The reason I believe this is that I have been seeing lots of Yamaha's, Kanstuls, Calicchios, etc,... going around.
    Monette himself started to 'conceed' when he came out with the 2000LTJ and the new Commercial Bb thats even lighter than anything he has ever made.
    Yamaha is selling the 6310Z and now the 8310Z like crazy. Zeno's too I know!
    Calicchio has more business now than ever before. They have backlogged orders and are doing a great job filling them too.
    Kanstul sells horns out the Wazoo too!

Like I said... I could be wrong. I just have been seeing Monette's on EBay more than ever. (usually people say they are upgrading, but thats the LIKELY story) Also, Maybe its just an area thing. When I play in other cities I notice that players tend to play different types of horns depending on location. (of course I see many trumpeters and I try to make observations as to what they are playing on.)

What's your observations on 'horn trends'?

Cory

Oh yea, both Nick Payton and Roy Hargrove didn't actually own their horns. I know Nick gave his back after just a month or two. (He is known to switch horns like crazy) Roy Hargrove didn't play his for very long either. It was 'lent' to him as I was told.
    Brian Lynch was a huge Monette 'client'. He did clinics at the Brass Conventions for Monette and spoke highly of Monette. All of a sudden I see a pic of him on the internet playing a Yamaha 8310Z. (Monette mpc of course) He will sound good on anything he plays...I KNOW he still owns those Monettes....he was even on the list for a Decorated Raja Nirvakalpa.
    That's why I posted that comment about Lynch.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I don’t have too much to add as far as horn trends I am afraid (I assume you were asking me) since I have been out of the jazz scene in Georgia for about 3 years now since I have been focusing more on my “legit†chops.

I will say that I have seen more Parke mouthpieces and Yamaha horns than before on the legit side, but I don’t have much contact with other trumpet players right now, so I am not sure if you could call it a “trendâ€.

7. CJDJazzTpt

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Those Parke mpcs are a bit pricey aren't they? I have heard a lot of good things about them.
    The new Yamaha's are really nice too. I like the direction that Yamaha is going in. I have tried the Zeno and liked it a lot, but I really want to try the 8310Z. I heard that it is much improved over the 6310Z.