Bright? Bad?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tennis_the_menace, Feb 16, 2007.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    There are a couple other options for you. Try this:
    • Play with a more open vowel sound...as in "taww"
    • Play a bit softer, with a smoother attack
    • Think darker thoughts.
    • Breathe in big and open and relaxed. Think something in German.
    Bright and dark are descriptors that refer, actually, to the amount of which type of overtones are present in your sound. Bright= more highs; dark= more lows. Sort of like the treble and bass controls on a stereo or a graphic equalizer.

Sound is a very personal issue. We all work very hard to achieve the sound we think is the ideal. Sometimes, however, it is necessary to alter your sound to suit the piece. Is this what your director might be alluding to?

I really like chocolate. I love chocolate with raspberry, especially. (Call it a weakness!). But, I also really enjoy chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. It depends on the mood I'm in, I guess. I also really like garlic. But I'd never, ever, mix garlic, chocolate and raspberry in the same dish.

Let's go a step further: I also really enjoy coffee. There are so many different kinds, and they offer different characteristics to the trained palette. I'm still learning, but am beginning to be able to distinguish a few characteristics. Some are very light, and feel high and light on the tongue. They don't stand up well to a good piece of chocolate cake, but they are very nice with something a bit lighter or fruity. A richer, darker and more robust flavor that has darker overtones and maybe fuller body stands up better to that piece of blackout cake; the lighter just would not do. But it might overpower a lighter more fluffy dessert.

See?

I wonder if your director just might be asking for something a bit different...maybe trying to push your envelope a bit and testing your abilities. If he/she is constantly on you about it, then my guess would be not; but if it's this one instance, for this solo, in this context, maybe?

2. PrettyT

PrettyT New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Hawaii
    I used to swap mouthpieces. "Putting my bell in the stand" was more like turning the volume.... Which did not adjust the bright/darkness of my tone.

3. tennis_the_menace

tennis_the_menace Pianissimo User

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    The mouthpiece I use all the time is a yamaha 9C4.
    But I also have a Bach 5C, a yamaha 14B4, and two different no name brand 7Cs. If I were to switch mouthpieces for my solo which one would I use?

4. Victor Lopez

Victor Lopez New Friend

Oct 22, 2006
    The 5C. It is one of the deepest Bach cups. Deeper than the 3C actually, and pretty close to 1 1/2C. The diameter isn't as large though, so it won't feel like a big change.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The one that makes your director happiest with your sound. Having said that, I only have one mouthpiece...giving up on the "safari" about 4 years back.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I have not heard this solo but I think your conductor may have a point asking for a darker sound. A Korean Folk song is not something I would know about.

I'll vote for the Bach 5C. I wish you luck.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DO NOT SWITCH FOR A SOLO! You will only succeed in reducing your playing security. IF bright was just a comment, change nothing. If bright was criticism, then you need a middle term solution. That could be a complete mouthpiece switch, playing similar solos on a cornet or flugelhorn or just backing off on the volume a bit, thereby reducing the "sizzle" in your sound. Work with your trumpet teacher on this.

8. tennis_the_menace

tennis_the_menace Pianissimo User

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    I know I posted this topic awhile ago, but I have some update on it.
    I tryed some of your guy's advice, it didn't work, my director absoluley HATES my sound.
    We have a concert tomorrow, and he took my solo away and gave it someone else, with a "dark" sound.
    Today when he was tuning us individualy he told me to darken my sound, he said my sound was too bright and not "cuddly". He also lately has told me I stick out sometimes. This is SO confusing last year he liked my sound, gave me complaiments on it all the time.
    I am very frustrated, and confused.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Elaine,
    Ouch! Maybe you need to switch band directors! :cool:

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Your director "told" you to darken your sound?

Did he give you any ideas or ways to do this thing?

If he didn't, what kind of a teacher is he?

I don't know what to say....:dontknow:

-cw-