Bright or Dark determined by the player, not the instrument or mpc???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    The other night I had the opportunity to get a private lesson on my euphonium... (Long story, but had the opportunity to work with a low brass guy)

... Anyway, interestingly enough he said I played it like a trumpet and played it 'Bright' versus the darker sound that I could get from an Euphonium... He mentioned chin down even more, open, slower air larger aperture, etc. Granted I know that if I pull out my flugel horn it is always going to have a really nice 'rich' dark sound to it compared to my trumpet, but wondering how much you change the 'bright-ness' or 'darkness' of your sound just by habit and how you adjust your embouchure or speed of air, etc.?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I can change the tone by changing the shape of the mouth cavity and a few other things, like relaxing the embouchure. You can play "oh" or you can play "ah" and even sometimes play "ee".

Tom

3. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    A player can effect their tone by adjusting their playing, but the horn and mouthpiece do play a bigger part of the degree of brightness or darkness on your sound.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I agree with Bay Area Brass totally. Much depends on the mouthpiece, Trumpet and its integral parts from metal alloy, thickness of metal, presence and position of braces. These are longheld and known concepts. A player can color the tone by changes in mouthshape, etc.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I guess you can learn a lot about the proper way to make those sounds by the kinds of movies you watch, too.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I play dark naturally. I would change to a shallower mouth piece and use a more steady consistent air stream while listening to my tone and micro adjust while thinking " brighter ". I play laid back, minimal air support ( just before dropping the note entirely ), and somewhat flat when I play on purpose because I like that sound with ballads and blues and some gospel pieces.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Gear helps. Mouthpiece selection will change the timbre. But, the horn makes the biggest difference in bright to dark, IMO. My favorite three trumpets are dark, medium, and bright. :-) (Recording, Carol Brass, Severinsen) I have it all covered. My goal is to be able to cover it all, from dark to bright, with one horn. That's not going to be easy, if it's even possible.

Turtle

8. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    My mouthpieces make a huge difference. I have a nice bright tone with my MF III and with my B4S it is more mello, but I would not call it dark. My horn is a middle horn, not bright and not dark.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My "vote" goes mainly to the mouthpiece. I can take my Martin Committee, put a huge deep mpc on it and sound "flugely". I can then put in my Jet-Tone custom model 1-B and peel paint. Your lips can change the timbre some.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yes, after trying differing mp's on the same Committee, I can do likewise. It can get much darker than my Schilke, though. So each horn has its on effect that can be altered. It has been hard, if not impossible, for any one to make a true Committee clone. With that being said, each horn is different, each player is different, and mp's make a difference.