Bright or Dark determined by the player, not the instrument or mpc???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with Al that the mouthpiece can make a large difference [again, I cannot believe I just agreed with Al]; HOWEVER, you CAN still darken the sound by relaxing the embouchure. This can be done by lowering the lower jaw and opening up the airflow and RELAXING. You can get that flugel sound out of a trumpet by doing this.

In one of our rehearsals our pianist in the quintet challenged me to play a song I usually play on flugel on the trumpet but make it sound like the flugel. I accepted the challenge and pulled it off will using the above technique. I then challenged him to make his piano sound like a Hammond B3. He let me down.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes... Yes... Yes.... Me too. I agree with this. I love the darker than dark sound I can get on the Committee using an Olds mouthpiece.

THEN... You lip that sucker down... and it's time to go on antidepressents that's how dark the sound gets.

3. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    The funny thing is that when I went from a Schilke 15 to a Schilke 15B, my tone got darker even though it's somewhat shallower, which I was very happy with. The key is that with the Schilke 15B, I play more relaxed to play the same material I played with the 15- playing more relaxed gave me a better center and warmer sound since I was using less effort. Committees really get that buttery sound with a relaxed blow-when you put more effort into them they will brighten up but still maintain their solid core.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yes, I agree. The Committee has greater diversity than many other trumpets. If you have one it is better to keep. My wife prefers the Committe so, she refuses to let me even consider parting with it. That is a first, considering that she didn't buy it for me. Usually, she doesn't concern herself with my horn purchases.

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I got that new antidepressant for you, but it could have the side effec of making you play too bright. I also got some downers if ya wanna go lower!

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Vet has some good points. You can adjust your tongue and chops to fine tune the tone. If you are going to be playing in the lower register for a lengthy about of time then opening the chops a bit more and getting a breathy sound is not a bad thing at all. Just remember not to overblow since the air is going to get lost in the way you play. Big full breathy "dark" tone is great. It's also good to sound a bit breathy in the upper register. It's better to sound soft and sweet than sharp and loud.

But the real trick is figuring how to do loud and soft and still sound dark and sweet.

Can we hear a demo of your playing on both instruments?

7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Al knows a thing or two ;-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't think I can handle that side effect. Besides, should I want to brighten up out of my dark funk, I take ii Olds Recordings bid. And NO drug can get you lower than on open embouchure on an Olds 3 attached to a Martin Committee.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, I'll give you 2... but THAT's IT! I can only be so generous in one night.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Well, I'll do the Committee with a Olds #3 as well! It does work good for low; but my HERRICK-MOECK custom mp takes it lower. Only thing that will take me to the darker realm is an Ogilbee Thumpet made in collaboration with Andy Taylor coming in next week! I sure am looking forward to it!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012