Bright or Dark determined by the player, not the instrument or mpc???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Oh, okay. Then go have some gin and tonic and give me a few more.

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Your flugelhorn may "automatically" have a darker sound than your trumpet, but if you play it exactly like you play your trumpet you won't be realizing its full potential. The flugelhorn is a completely different instrument than the trumpet and benefits from being played in a completely different way -- like a flugelhorn. I think that's what your low-brass teacher was getting at -- that you should learn to play the euphonium in the way that gives the most euphonious results.

Many of the responses have talked about getting a variety of tone qualities on the same instrument, but I think your instructor was simply talking about changing your approach on a *different* instrument. And I think that's a completely valid point: I try to use very different approaches to piccolo trumpet, D trumpet, C trumpet, Bb trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn, trombone, and euphonium. In fact, my approach to the euphonium really messes with my trumpet chops, so I don't play euph very often.

I can shade my tone brighter and darker on any given instrument through various physical manipulations, but I'm hardly the best at such things. I'll change mouthpieces and/or instruments to make big alterations in sound.

Finally, to address the question in the thread title -- yes, I do think Bright or Dark is determined by the player and not the hardware. But I don't think that's what you were really asking. I know guys who could shatter glass with a Bach 37 and a 3C. And I know other guys who could do a good flugelhorn imitation with exactly the same setup. But the bright guys probably wouldn't be able to get a dark sound on that equipment, and the dark guys probably wouldn't be able to play very bright. I'm sure there are lots of players who could achieve both extremes on the same equipment, but I don't personally know any.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am surprised not to see Rowuk on this discussion...anyway, playing dark or bright is not only a question of sound color. Do your homework - listen to "bright"trumpeters as opposed to "dark"cornet and flugel players. Than analyse. What is different other than the color of the sound in their playing? Other variables to look - 1. Dynamics 2. Phrasing 3. Articulations. Get it? Do it. It is not that complicated.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Vacation?