Brighter tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by George.S, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi George,
    Markie here, Rowuk explains it pretty well. Don't let anybody sell you a book on longtones. You'll be bummed if you buy one. It'll be connected whole notes with cresendos and decresendos.

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    For long tones I usually start at a C below the staff, take a huge breath and hold each note for as long as I can, as quiet as I can play it. I then descend chromatically down to F#. Once I get there I go up to G in the staff and go down chromatically. I keep doing this working up the overtones (C, E, G, etc) within my range.

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    A slightly different way of practicing long tones is to use backing track. This guy sells a CD to play them to.

CD Baby: WALTER WHITE: Walter White Long-tone Accompaniment

I also made a backing track with jazz chord changes on (II-V-I) and my long tones are voice leading exercises over each chord change. Great ear training if you are interested in improvisation. You could do that over any backing track for which you have the lead sheet.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

I use Walter White's CD all the time. Also I've found it to be a great way to work on tuning.:thumbsup:

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I think it is important to have a routine or exercise of long tones to do. This will help give your long tone practice structure. There are tons of these exercises out there. You can make up you own.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  6. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Well, a dark sound is much more preferable than a bright sound. I hate Eric Miyashiro cuz his tone is so frickin bright. So I say stick with your dark tone.:thumbsup:

7. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello George S. For a bright playing trumpet,the H.N. White King Liberty #2 model Trumpet are bright playing. Finding one in great playing shape and original condition will be a little hard as of lately. A lot of the best ones may be already bought up. The nicer Reynolds Argenta Trumpets and Argenta Cornets do not come up on E-Bay as of late. Being made of solid nickel silver,they can play dark in mid and low range,but real bright in the higher range, More for a solo type horn etc. But these King #2 Liberty's are bright through the whole scale with good sound output. I have a deep cup #5 Stork Flugel m.p. with cornet shank,can use my Bach Cornet/Trumpet adapter on these #2 model horns and they get nice and mellow. I plan to try a #7 med. cup Stork Flugel m.p. in cornet shank or maybe in a proper Trumpet shank. Should be overall the best choice when I play with a Sax or Clarinet etc. on harmony and they on lead. As these old horns are bright and can over power another single instrument or trio etc. What has been mentioned above on long tones etc,is great advise also. Hey you might want to sell everything and buy a Callet Sima. Very good reviews so far. Seems these Horns are on the bright side etc. Good luck

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is not a very intelligent premise. A lead player in a big band needs the razors edge. Even in classical music there are so many opportunities for flame throwers (Saturn in Holsts Planets, Symphonic dances from West Side Story, the D- trumpet part in Bolero............).

oohhh yeah, you need to learn some things before posting nonsense. Hating a successful player shows a lack of respect for the art and the freedom of choice. Hate is a pretty stupid emotion that leads to illogical reactions. I would work on that if I were you!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

In addition to Robins posting, I am of the opinion that brightness is what a trumpet should do. If you want a darker, sweeter tone use a cornet. If that is still too bright for you, try a flugel. That is why there are the various types of cup mouthpiece perinet valved, or rotary valved soprano brass instruments. I could go on about all of the many other types of trumpets, but, I hope that I have made my point.

OLDLOU>>

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Oldlou, Markie here, The sound of the trumpet can also be darkened by using a RingMute.