Brittle Tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Oct 30, 2009.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    My teacher has told me in this past lesson that I have a very brittle tone. I realize that it may be hard to interprete this thoought but if you can that would be great.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  3. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    This reason is why my teacher had difficulty explaining it. My tone tends to seem very bright perhaps but it is supported. I would think a good analogy would by my tone is like a lance while a darker tone is more like a broad sword. I have heard I can use this very bright tone to my advatage but right now I need to overcome the fraility in its sound even though it is well supported.

4. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    I had the bright tone but it was supported. I had to listen to professional trumpet player and try to imitate their tone. Then I ALWAYS listened to the tuba in the band and make sure I would "fit" inside his tone. Also if your not first trumpet make sure you fit inside the tone of the first trumpet. That doesn't mean not to bring important parts out though.

Im sure your teacher will help you fix it though considering he stated it was a problem.