Broadway Show Parts Question

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Jun 23, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    When I played Sweeney Todd on Broadway I used a C trumpet, but the parts were in Bb. Into The Woods was written in C and played on a C trumpet.
    I wonder how the parts played on Broadway look on the road? Tell me your experiences.
    Wilmer

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Played "Into the Woods" last week.. in the woods in the Trent Park campus of Middlesex University here in London.

Played on Bb (I was given a choice between Bb and C parts!) which was Ok except for the finale, key and register was awkward with the straight mute too!! Potentially very "splitty" :)

If I had a C I would have used it.

Worst part really was when it got dark, all the bugs etc were attracted to the lamps on our music stands. I must have had a sign over my head, only visible to the bugs.. "FREE FOOD!" 'cause I've been bitten all over!! and I'm allergic to these kinds of bites too!! grrr...

Other than that it was fine!

FAME! which I am playing this week is a different story! Using Bb and bucket mute for Flugel parts as I don't own a flugel (yet!)

3. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Played "The Producers" with the touring company a couple of months ago. We were given Bb parts and a rehearsal CD, and all three of us played on Bbs. No flugel parts. The show was very demanding though.

I don't have much experience playing shows, but they had a rehearsal book, which was sent to us a week in advance, and then they had the actual book, which was given to us at the first rehearsal, and was not allowed to leave the theater. Once we got to that point, they sent the rehearsal book to Reno, which was the next stop on the tour. Is this common practice? I'm sure it is, but was just curious. It makes a lot of sense, but created a lot of problems when one of the trumpet players got into a fight with the conductor and was fired, and we had to have someone else come in on the fourth show, after two performances with no third trumpet part! Since they had already sent the rehearsal book ahead, we had to find a copy machine in the building and copy the whole third book to give him a couple of hours to look at it! Kind of funny now, but it sure was a pain in the butt at the time.

Also did "Gypsy," (with a high school that rented parts) and those parts were in Bb as well.

Sorry for the long story...the parts were in Bb.