"Broken Embouchures"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The BuZZ, Aug 27, 2008.

1. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Hello all................
    How many of my fellow Trumpeteres have experienced "embouchure Overuse Syndrome" and have sought out consultaion with Lucinda Lewis and or used her book for rehabilitaion? I am at wit's end with this problem and I am getting desperate! Any info/feedback will be greatly appreciated!

2. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Been there several times. The first took the longest to recover from, about 3 weeks. The others were not quite as bad as I was more aware and took action sooner. I did read something on the net about Lucinda Lewis's ideas, and feel she probably has it right. Rowuk helped me the most. He thought more quiet practice, playing very softly would help with the way I explained what was happening to me. I tried a few days off and that didn't help. If you were seriously injured time off may be necessary, I wasn't. Rowuk also advised 3 half hr sessions with time off in between. For me, quiet playing, being careful not to use a lot of pressure and patience worked. Other times I felt problems were occuring rowuk advised a back to basics sort of session. This also helped. For me, playing softly most of the time while visualizing a small aperture, keeping my loud practice to around 5 or ten minutes max per day (long tones p-FF-pp) is working. However I have to watch not pushing things as I overtrain easily. I work range twice per week and also take a day off each week. And still I am searching. Hope this doesn't confuse you even more. Good luck

3. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I never heard of this book, but it looks like I can use a hand from it.:shock: I tend to overwork myself, not because I try to perfect something, but because I just like to play. (I have an addictive personality sometimes).

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Without a really accurate description, I think that the overuse syndrome is more of an excuse than a fact. There are certain situations where I will buy the story, but many times it is not overuse, it is carelessness or stupidity.

There is no magic in getting your chops back. Call everybody that you promised to play for in the next 30 days and cancel (offering some reasonable replacement player of course). Then just play an hour a day in 4 15 minute sections for the first week. I say do not play more loudly than piano and no high notes, heavy lip slurs, no heavy tonguing or technical stuff, just easy tunes, long tones and maybe some Clarke. Take the time that you would have otherwise practiced and go swimming, yoga class or something else good for your body! After a week, post again or PM me.

If you are tired, the cure is sleep. If you waste your face, it is time to get smart. Nothing to get desperate about. Depending how badly you have treated yourself, it could take 6 months to build intelligent habits! No book will ever make anybody smarter, but sometimes a size 8 1/2 shoe planted where the sun doesn't shine will!

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I never heard "embouchure over use syndrome".It sounds to me that your using too much mouthpiece pressure, or possibly are in need of professional chop help either way this shouldn`t be happening.If you feel you`r chops are over worked one day off is plenty of time to recoup if not find a good teacher.

6. Slidehammr

Slidehammr New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    Lucinda Lewis found a great niche. Hence, the (seems to me) inflated price of her book ($35). I've been playing for 40+ years and have broken my chops plenty of times. Currently I play a lot of weddings and some interspersed jazz gigs. Last night I played a soul band gig but that's pretty rare. If you read Lucinda's articles, a lot of what she says seems right on the mark. Solutions are to be offered after you pay. Good business sense. None of us are the same but one thing rings true for brass players: You must be willing to constantly re-evaluate! How many times have you caught yourself in a practice session beating your chops? Back off! Try a long tone session (Schlossberg) at the beginning and/or end. "Listen to your sound! Play with reverence!" -Rasey.

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I sent you a PM with for a great teacher in NY.