Broken Mouthpiece Receiver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by matdoyle76, Oct 25, 2009.

1. matdoyle76

matdoyle76 New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    I broke the mouthpiece receiver on my cornet last night, about an inch-and-a-half from the end. It's cracked, but hasn't quite come off completely yet. Is this the type of thing that can be fixed at a shop? If so, how much should I expect to pay? And yes, I broke it in the dumbest way possible. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    How did you break it? Is it broken at the solder joint, or is the actual brass cracked. The solder joint is easy to fix. The brass crack would involve replacement of the part, or a silver solder patch (although the silver solder wouldn't be cosmetically appealing)

3. matdoyle76

matdoyle76 New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    I broke it diving off my chair to catch a soccer ball. Drunk, and completely forgetting that I had my cornet in my hand. The brass is cracked clean through, as is the solder joint. To my completely untrained eye, it looks like the kind of thing that can be patched, and I'm not in the least bit concerned about appearance, so hopefully the silver solder patch you mentioned above can be the solution I'm looking for. Any idea how much I should expect to spend?

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I can't give you the prices of another tech's work.
    If the crack is small, Silver solder should suffice. If it is larger, a brass patch may have to be made. It is all dependant on your tech's opinions. He may just tell you to replace the part.

5. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I cracked the lead pipe on an old Yamaha 231 cornet. I didn't want to replace the lead pipe because it would cost as much as the horn was worth. ($80.00-$90.00) I used some of that metal mending putty that you mix together like clay. After it hardened I sanded it down smooth. It isn't pretty but it filled the crack. I don't notice any difference in how it plays. I'm sure it dampens vibration in the pipe, but it still plays like a good student horn. Since you said it broke the solder joint also you might should take it to a tech.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Ha! At least you're honest! :)

7. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    would you consider replacing the entire mouthpiece receiver if the crack is so bad? what is your cornet?