Bronchitis with a rehearsal and gig the Friday

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Hi all,

I rehearsed on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend, and began developing a dry, painful cough on Sunday evening. It got worse yesterday, and now I am home sick from school today, awaiting a return call from my doc. I'm 99% sure that it is bronchitis, which I seem to develop every fall, without fail.

The problem is, I have a rehearsal on Thursday night and a gig Friday. I can barely take a deep breath without having a coughing fit. I'm looking for some advice and some answers, hopefully..

First, do you guys have any tips for getting through a week like this with a bronchial infection? I am drinking lots of water and am taking Mucinex to clear some congestion.

Also, what should I do to disinfect my mouthpieces and horns at the end of the week? I have boiled mouthpieces before, but I am uncertain about what (if anything) can be done with the horns.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    If you are unsure you can make it through the gig successfully, hire a sub. It is the right thing to do and the band will thank you.

As for the horn, Sani-mist the mouthpiece and warm soap bath for the horn.

3. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Sani-Mist... I'll check it out. Thank you! And nothing out of the usual cleaning process for the horns.

As for the gig, good advice there too. I'll be starting an antibiotic today, so I think I will be ok for Friday. It's a short, 45 minute set opening for a national folk act; not a 4-hour marathon chopfest.

Tyty!

4. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    i'm glad you posted this. I was/am continuing to have this problem. I would suggest monitoring your Mucinex usage. For me, not only did it lose its effectiveness pretty quickly, it was actually making things worse after a while. Might just have been me, but if you notice the same, I'd suggest you stop. I had similar issues using the Advare discus inhaler.

I had some relief with Ricola herbal tea. The come in a dissolvable pellet form. It opened things up a bit and also relief some of the dryness.

I would suggest cleaning out your mouthpiece daily, even soaking it in some boiling water.

Garry

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One of the few gigs I cancelled was due to bronchitis. I couldn't take a big breath without coughing up green stuff the color of an unused crayon. I started antibiotics and they kicked in quickly, but bit late for the gig.

You might be able to set up an emergency replacement in the event you can't play. If so, give them something for offering to play, even if they don't.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Follow routine dish soap cleaning of mouthpiece with 10 minute soak in 90% isopropyl alcohol and you'll have a mouthpiece as antiseptic and sterile as possible within reason. DO NOT RE-USE THE ALCOHOL!

7. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    If it's a dry cough, it is not a bronchitis. A bronchitis is when your bronchus are full of brown, yellow, green semi solid mucus that makes you cough but relieving your condition.
    If you take bronchitis medecine for a dry cough, nothing will happen.
    If it's really a bronchitis, eat well, drink a lot of water, cough a lot, spit whenever you can.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is no such thing as "bronchitis". There is Chronic bronchitis, a subset of COPD, but there is no "bronchitis". This is an important concept because what "bronchitis" really is - Intrinsic Asthma. If you treat it as such, it resolves quickly, if you use OTC agents. it gets better on its own, whether us used OTC's or not. OTC's just make you "feel" better... Especially elixirs.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, Intrinsic Asthma is treated with Albuterol every 6 hours and a 5-7 day steroid burst. Doctors prescribe these medications after a nice friendly visit. Their motivation is to cure you, not just make you feel better... and OK to also be able to purchase 8 or so trumpets.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    IMO the only thing that Sani Mist and Sterisol do is make you feel better from having done something. The only way at home to sterilize your mouthpiece is to scrub it clean and boil it (suggest 15 minutes).