Bronchitis with a rehearsal and gig the Friday

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Sep 30, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That alone will not do it. There has to be a 91% Isopropyl alcohol wash to put bacterial and fungal cultures at bay. And it must be the entire horn not just the mouthpiece. Chest, September, 2012

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    OK, here's my method of dealing with the problems described:

1) Always carry a spare cardigan or sweater or jacket with you at the end of summer - the weather might get chilly before you realize it. And that is where many chest/respiratory problems begin.
    2) Ricola - whether as herbal tea, or as lozenges - is as good as any patent medicine for that kind of stuff. Only don't take the sugar-free option. That does not really work because the sugar has to carry the aromatic oils...
    3) At night, smear your chest and back with Chinese tiger balm (not too much, or you might end up a Red Indian;-)) and put a tiny amount on the space between your upper lip and the bottom of your nose. Don't put the stuff on your lip or into your nose, or you'll regret it...
    4) Drink lots and lots of mint tea (not green tea with mint - just mint leaves infused in hot water) with a dash of organic honey. That will warm you up and sterilize your entrails (honey being a mild antiseptic).

We've dealt with your most important instrument - your body. Now it's time to treat your trumpet.
    1) Sterilize your mouthpiece thoroughly by letting it soak in alcohol (91% isopropyl would be the agent of choice) for 15 minutes. Discard the alcohol.
    2) Give your horn a thorough wash through with warm soapy water, let it dry, and then cork the leadpipe up and fill the hooter with isopropyl. Let it soak for 15 minutes or so, discard the alcohol and then immediately rinse the horn thoroughly with warm water (to get rid of alcoholic fumes that might affect your playing).

Finally: Find the nearest Trappist monastery and get their Trappist Monastery Brandy. It's high-powered stuff, so it's only medicinal. But it really works. Here's a link to my source of supply:
    Stift Engelszell - Magenbitter

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Wash your hands thoroughly after applying the tiger balm (especially if you need the bathroom)

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Does he have a chest cold or Ebola?

Some of this seems like overkill.

I've used just basic cleaning on my own horns when sick for years, and have never had it come back to bite me.

Now that I have a Chem clean tank, obviously I use it. But still soap and water might be old school, but it works,

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You can play long big horns off mountain tops using this stuff.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oops already made my comment.

7. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Lol B'Man, I can't believe your response! It's as if you are secretly watching me. As a teacher, I make a habit if munching on Riccola hard drops every day. I also drink a tall mug of green/mint tea every day. Tiger Balm? Right on again! I love the stuff for muscle soreness, but works great in opening air passages as well. As for the sweaters and coats, I run a bit hot blooded, and so it takes a while for me to give in to dragging out the cool-weather clothes. My wife and I also like sleeping with an open window in a cooooold bedroom.

Thanks for the post!

I rehearsed last night and it went pretty well. I'm feeling even better tonight, so the show should be a cinch. I ended up being out of school for three days with a 102° fever and a nasty, productive cough. It's clearing up now, though.

Cheers!

8. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Did I mention that if I don't mow my lawn frequently enough, that mint plants sprout up everywhere? :D