Brought my son a pre loved Bach- now what?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bublet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Hi all! I'm a complete newby- I just brought my son a pre loved Bach trumpet an wondering what I need to do to it before I let him play it? Many thanks in advance

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Buy earplugs

3. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Bahaha not quite what I ment! But thanks for the tip!

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM!

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if there is anything to do to prep the horn before he uses it? Or are you asking something else?

Thanks!
    Mike

5. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Yep just to prep and clean more than anything- the finish is bad but I got it crazy cheap- ugly I can deal with for now, I have read the link on cleaning lacquer and polishing. Just want to make sure it is clean for him to use- I have brought the grease and oil to put on it

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Is he a beginner or has he been playing for a while?

7. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Absolute beginner- 9 years old- but been begging for months to buy him a trumpet but haven't had the money- found this poor neglected one on a local selling page- just hoping it does the job ok

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Let go of it? Haha. But it sounds like you did already the things I would have suggested. And it's not the outside appearance that makes the sound, it's the inside, and the one generating the sound on the small end that make the difference.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You might want to have someone experienced in the art play it to make certain that it is in decent playing order - valve wear, leaks, etc. Even Rolls Royces wear out.

Faulty equipment is the the main reason for people giving up playing.

10. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    That's a great Idea- I will see if I can locate someone, was hoping his teacher maybe able to tell me but for now it's only school based lessons. I have messaged a restorer to see how much it will cost, if decenct I shall take it to him