Brought my son a pre loved Bach- now what?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bublet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Quoted for truth! Especially the part about kids giving up on playing. I was at the end of my rope when I hit 8th grade, and was doing my best to maintain a high chair placement (another kid and I were battling for first chair) in spite of having an old beat up King cornet that had definitely seen better days. I gave my parents an ultimatum at that point: either hook me up with a better instrument, or I was going to quit. Once I got my Yamaha trumpet, it was smooth sailing at that point.

What kind of Bach trumpet is it? Is it a Bach Stradivarius, or is it a Bundy or Mercedes?

2. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    I have no idea what it is :/ has Bach stamped on it and TR300 near moth piece stamped

3. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    I've never had trumpets! Today has been my crash course- everything I googled results came from this forum so joined up to learn what I can :) Thankyou all so much for answering!

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A TR300 is one of the student-model Bachs. I'd get a local music store to check it out to make sure it plays ok, and let them show you how to oil the valves, etc.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My son started out on a TR300. It's a nice student horn, easy to play, and built like a tank.

His school music teacher might be able to check out the horn and show you how to care for it (if he/she's a trumpet player). If not, he/she can probably recommend someone who can check it out.

Mike

6. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Oh good- glad to hear they are generally good for learners! She had recommended Bach, king, Yamaha or Conn- I will have a chat to her in the morning see if she can tell me condition wise how it is- my only Brass experience was a short stint playing Baratone in grade two lol it was as big as me! But at least I know what valves etc should feel like lol I will no doubt be stalking this forum now! I may even try learning to play myself! Thanks again

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That TR300 will keep him going nicely for a good bit. I understand sometimes that a kid likes to see a horn shine, but as long as it's functionally correct, he should be good to go with it.

8. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    If that's the case I will be exceptionally happy! I paid more for the oil, grease and music book than I did for it lol! Things you find on local buy sell pages!

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    We cannot give a price on fixing something we cannot see. If it is JUST a cosmetic refinish - that is one thing, but innards - that is another thing entirely.

Just as in medicine, first get the diagnosis. No use worrying about a possible leg amputation if you just need a massage.

As I discuss here:
    The Art is in the Diagnosis

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    That is what I was using for many years prior to purchasing the current Getzen Eterna 900 I now play exclusively. However, it can be a very good horn for the skill level we are talking about. Just don't let him play anything like what I am now, and he will be happy, not having experienced what I have in the last two and a half years.......