Brought my son a pre loved Bach- now what?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bublet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Additionally, I highly recommend that young beginners have a comfortable straight chair and a music stand to use while practicing daily at home. Such a chair you may already have, and a portable folding stand will do for now.

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    A dance show band I was in, the other trumpet player was using a TR-300. He sounded pretty good on it. Have the horn inspected and correct any deficiencies found. Cosmetics can come later. Good luck:oops:

3. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    There are some pretty good DIY videos on YouTube. Here's the first one that popped up when I searched YouTube for "Basic Trumpet Maintenance" or something to that effect....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7amjgygKefc

There are many others.

4. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Well I'm excited to say his teacher went over it today and said it is awesome and plays beautifully- my sone was abit worried cosmetically but after his teacher telling him how cool it was and it shows history he is happy how it is! Only paid $20 for it!

5. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    image.jpg

6. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    You're right. It looks rough. But if it plays great for $20, you scored!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bleh - folding stands are the worst. They are flimsy, have small music tables, and wind up breaking. I know that the Hamilton version is only $10, and the musician's gear version only about $6, and they seem great compared to the Manahasset, which is about $35-$40, depending on the source.

With that said, buy once, cry once - if you pick up a Manhasset stand, you'll have it for years. Decades even, and it won't let you down. I have two of them - one is mine, and one is my son's. Mine has been through the ringer. I used to throw it in the back of my pick up on my way to big band rehearsal so it has been rained on a dozen or so times, and it was in the back of my car the night I was in an accident, on my way to a gig, no less, and my car got totaled. (I missed the first set of a Latin band gig, but played the 2nd and 3rd sets! :D) The upright got bowed slightly, but I carefully bent it back, and kept on trucking. That was in 1998, and it's still going strong. Definitely a worthy investment IMO.

Manhasset 48C Music Stand | Musician's Friend

8. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    I will look into stands thanks for the advice- I'm in Australia so not sure what I can get here but will look around :)

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow - I had no idea. You should be able to get Manhassets, but maybe not quite that cheap. Good luck!

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Nah, just oil the valves. Although, it never hurts to give it a cleaning. And please, for the love of all that is holy, clean a used mouthpiece BEFORE you play it.