Brought my son a pre loved Bach- now what?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bublet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes Patrick. Manhasset music stands are great. I use mine when I solo in church. At home I use the orchestra stand that I custom made. Still for tutoring I use folding stands carried in cases and they "make do" for what I need. My point was to get the beginner sitting properly while practicing at home. It will be a long time before he'll be dragging a stand around to gigs like you do. I could also say, I used folding stands all the way through high school and college, albeit in college, the college provided Manhasset type when in concert on stage. Too, there are desk/table top stands that could be used at home also, and with a little innovation could be made from recycled corrugated boxes. Certainly, the elementary school music books such as Essential Elements [I/] are neither as heavy or thick as a gig book.

As my granddaughter began to learn flute, her teacher required she provide a folding stand. She carries hers in a rolled engineering drawing resin case that Granddad provided her as he did her flute.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Never underestimate the allure of a shiny trumpet in a young player's hand (or an older player's hand, either, come to think of it). A couple of dabs of Flitz (a non-abrasive polish that won't harm lacquer), a cotton ball or two, and a few minutes of effort on the tarnished areas will make this horn shine! Show him how, and let him finish the job. If you don't use surgical/exam gloves, a hand cleaner like Fast Orange will remove the tarnish from your and his hands afterward.

3. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Oh believe me mouthpiece was spotless! Washed 3 times in hot hot soapy water- figured if cutlery cleaned that way it should too :)

4. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    Probably a silly question but can mouthpieces go in a dishwasher?

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wouldn't put a mouthpiece in a dishwasher--the soap used and silver don't get along too well.

6. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I have run mouthpieces through the dishwasher many, many time and never had a problem. That is my SOP when I buy a used horn.

7. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Heck, I run whole horns through the dishwasher. (But only if they are silver plated. Don't try this with lacquer, especially old lacquer.) I pull them completely apart, remove things like felt pads so only metal goes in the dishwasher, put all the parts in the dishwasher, and run it on the short cycle with only a small amount of dishwashing detergent. That has never hurt any of my silver plated horns.

With used mouthpieces, I usually soak them in Listerine for a day and then run them through the dishwasher. Never had a problem!

-- TMc

8. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    Hot, soapy water and a mouthpiece brush should take care of the backbore (the part you can't see without a flashlight ["torch" in The Queen's English]). Follow up by pouring some rubbing alcohol (91%, if you can get it) over it, and you should be fine.

9. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    May we presume that you swab out the insides with a tubing brush and hot, soapy water first?

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia