Brought my son a pre loved Bach- now what?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bublet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, indeed. Good point. The newer brushes are nylon with coated "Springy wire" bodies. (Unlike the old ones that were bare metal and could scratch.) The new ones work well. I also went to the sporting goods store and got cleaning kits for rifles and shotguns. Those work well for the straight bits. I sometimes make my own swabs from those plastic cable ties used by electricians along with cleaning patches from the gun cleaning kits.

2. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for helping a newbie like myself out!

3. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    You got a great deal. I have the Bach CR 300, the cornet version.Great sound. I use dishwasher detergent on a brush and then warm water to clean the valve case. Rinse off with isopropyl alcohol. Also use alcohol on pistons, and on brush on inside of cornet. Did buy the cleaning kit from the music store, included spitballs. Usually clean once a week.

Great trumpet to start on, he is lucky.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Ditto using Herco Spitballs once a week. FWIW - Here's my source: Herco Trumpet Spitballs | WWBW

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You aren't exactly a newbie having once played a baritone, the care of which is the same as a trumpet, Too, when the baritone plays in the treble clef, the fingering is identical to a trumpet. Bass trumpets, Trombones, baritones, and euphoniums all use the same size mouthpiece. There may be others but I prefer a 6.5 AL rather than a 12C to also play my euphonium.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I always had Manhasset stands. My family had two of them already when I started playing in 5th grade (purchased used from the school for my older sisters - both needed minor repair, which my Dad took care of) so other than a band camp thing where everyone had to use a folding stand, I've pretty much always used Manhasset, Wenger, or K&M folding stands.

I can't remember the last time I took a stand to a gig (probably Latin band in the late 1990s) - most of the time stands are provided at church gigs, the big band used fronts, and with the wedding band, my book is so big, it's no longer in paper format - it's on an iPad that clips into a holder that attaches to my vocal mic stand.

Now that we've dispensed with the technicalities, let's get back to the original gist of the points I was trying to make: value and usability. A Manhasset will do everything a folding stand will do, plus some, it will take much more use and abuse, and it will last much longer with minimal care. And, it actually has some resale value if the kid doesn't wind up using it past their school years. A folding stand after a few years is fit for little more than the metal recycling pile.

If there's a mandate that the kid get a folding stand, fine - why not have both? A kid learning a new instrument already has enough stuff on their mind without having to worry about fiddling with a stand too.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Our Granddaughter uses our Daughter's Manhasset at home and if she wanted her own, I'd have one shipped to her. Our church here hasn't any, albeit in the past I've used a lectern in those churches that have them. Part of the problem is space on the school bus. Even their backpacks are put in the cargo net at the rear sides of their bus. Just seems to me that the OP's budget won't stretch to a Manhasset stand and there are so many ways to improvise inexpensively at home. I just don't want to know of a student to try reading music laying on their bed while they are squatting on their while playing, and yet I've heard of such along with other studies.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Somehow I have struggled through life with a plain old Hamilton folding stand. Outdoors, indoors, wind, hot sun, cloudy.......no wonder I have to go to therapy....not really. Just kidding.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Once you have the Stands sorted, you then have to think about Mutes and Mute holders....

Over to you guys to fight it out..

Bublet, to each their own. But I agree with Ed a stand of some sort, so that the player is not slouched over, or reading his music off the floor, bent over the bed... Hey, that's what I did for 3 years - no one ever mentioned getting a stand - my teacher and bands had them.

Now my Mute holder is the Ace..

10. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    I was just looking at mutes on eBay lol- he came home practicing last night and my god it's loud! Ok so question on them- do they all do the same thing? Does it make it the same to play?im guessing the high end ones work a lot better but we live on acerage not an apartment so even if it's not super quiet that's ok :) more for my sanity than the neighbourhoods