Brought my son a pre loved Bach- now what?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bublet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    ... and valve oil, heavy valve caps, mouthpiece safaris, raw brass, copper bells, which horn to purchase next (cornet, flugel, or C trumpet), which version or Arban's to purchase, whether Arban's is still relevant, the best way to learn jazz, the secret to improvising, the value of warming up, whether smoking hurts your trumpet playing, and embouchure changes. Well, maybe it's too early for an embouchure change.

(Just kidding.)

Lots of helpful information in everyone's posts, of course. And your son's band director will likely be able to help with some of the details.

Mike

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I particularly liked the first response - my immediate reaction to your post was "Now blow raspberries in the little end of the machine".

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    There are specific "Practice" Mutes, designed to reduce the noise, and still allow the player to know what he id doing. Many threads here on Practice Mutes.

I have never owned a Practice Mute. My First mute was a Harmon with the removable stem. I have used that for my practice every day, and my neighbours still don't know that I play. Either they no longer hear it, or I am good enough to not annoy them. When I was young, I had good neighbours.

The most used Mutes are 1. Straight, 2 Cup, 3 Harmon, 4 Plunger. He will only need them once he gets into a band. The Harmon is the most expensive -around $50 but will last a lifetime.
    Harmon WOW WOW Trumpet Mute New Jazz Model B | eBay

This is the one my Dad bought me.. the paints is a little chipped and worn, but still plays well.
    New Humes Berg 111 Stonelined Wah Wah Trumpet Mute | eBay

Silent mutes are supposed to be good, but I have no experience with them.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    No. There are different types. The most common mutes he might need are a straight mute, a cup mute, a harmon mute, plunger mute, and bucket mute. But I'd probably hold off until (and if) the needs come up.

He will play essentially the same way. But a mute will alter his sound to achieve some desired effect.

However, it will also alter some of the mechanics of the horn, like back-pressure and feedback. Because of this, it's not a good idea to practice exclusively with a mute.

Mike

5. Bublet

Bublet New Friend

Feb 18, 2015
    However, it will also alter some of the mechanics of the horn, like back-pressure and feedback. Because of this, it's not a good idea to practice exclusively with a mute.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Think I may hold off till he knows how to play first then

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No need for mutes for a beginner. That will come later when he plays in a school band. Practice mutes are not good for learning to play, either...the feedback from the horn is altered too much.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I use the floor.

And mutes? I didn't own my own mutes until high school, and even then it was just a straight and cup - the harmon I had was owned by the school. And let's not even talk about plunger mutes! :-P

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Good one, Patrick. I remember most of us in HS had the combo straight/cup mutes which were not that terrible and my parents were kind enough to purchase that one for me, and we did not have much money to go around, yet I did not know it at the time. Again, it got the job done for what was needed.
    On where to put the mute so it's ready to play during a gig, I have one of those holders that attach to the stand, but I don't find it as quick to get the mute into the business end of the Trumpet as having it on the floor, because it's in the right orientation. But with the stand version, you have to take it out, carefully, then flip it over before inserting it. Just an observation from my perspective. Now I do have some nice mutes, a Denis Wick straight, Humes and Berg cup, and a Harmon/Harmon mute. Also a bucket mute, but not very often used..sounds like playing in a bucket, but well named I guess.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's another piece of advice that may be worth what you paid for it...

Don't let him get on these forums and read all the hardware and method stuff that's discussed/debated here. All he needs to be doing is practicing on the horn you bought him with a decent, middle of the road mouthpiece, and following what his teacher says to do. The other stuff would just be a distraction right now. Come to think of it, the other stuff is always a distraction, even for us who have been playing for 50 years...;-)

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Is it possible to be a trumpet player and not be into the hardware? :dontknow: