Brought my son a pre loved Bach- now what?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bublet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Moot point once you've started losing interest in cute flautists. What's left?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    In my case, it was a cute cellist. :-)

Mike

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    For a 9 year old, yes. Not only possible, but necessary. It's fine to be into the trumpet you have, but not good to be thinking about the merits of other horns, mouthpieces, heavy caps, etc.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes. I would say that in general, I'm not into my hardware except for what I believe is necessary to get the job done. As a result, I own two horns - a Bb trumpet and a flugelhorn, a Schilke B6 and an ACB Doubler, respectively. I haven't bought a trumpet since 2005, and prior to that it was 1997. Prior to that, it was 1984/85, and my parents paid for it because I was still in middle school. (To be fair, I did pick up a C trumpet, an extra Bb and a pic along the way in the early/mid 90s, but I sold them because I wasn't using them.)

I'm not into swapping mouthpieces, although I am a believer that you should find something that gets you most of the way to where you are trying to go from a sound/function perspective. The rest needs to be accomplished with hard work in the practice room.

I own mutes, but I'd have to scrounge around to put them all together because I don't use them with my current gig, and haven't used them in a while, so I'm not altogether sure where they are.

I have stands - both music and horn. The music stand I bought sometime in the early to mid 1990s - not sure when. My Hamilton trumpet stand I didn't buy - my sister got it around the time I was in the 5th grade, 30+ years ago. I have a K&M flugelhorn stand, but only because I gig with the flugel. I also have a K&M trumpet stand, but only because I forgot my accessory bag on an out of town trip, and so I picked one up at a local Guitar Center - again, just a means to an end, and I got the cheapest one available.

I have a metronome - a Yamaha Clickstation - but that was purchased more for my efforts as a drummer in a worship band so that we could start playing to a click.

I own a cheap Korg Chromatic tuner, but it doesn't get used for trumpet - it gets used when I restring my son's guitars.

I'm just not that into gear. I believe you need to have decent gear, but I've never been into flipping horns, and I don't have a collection of mutes, mouthpieces or other trumpet related accessories that aren't necessary to the gigging I do.

As a drummer, I'm slightly more into gear, but only because there's more gear associated with it, and even then, I find what works and stick with it. I've owned 2 drum kits in the 12 years I've been drumming - my starter kit, and the one I bought when I decided I was going to be more serious about my drumming, and I only replace cymbals when I break one. For a short while, I was into snare drums until I found that every time I went to take my kit out for something, I was reaching for one of two of the snares I owned, and lately I've been using the same one for everything - a maple Keller shelled snare, 6x14. It has a nice bright crack, yet maintains warmth.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

6. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Ed.

You may have misunderstood the tongue-in-cheek spirit of my post. I did qualify my reply with "Just kidding".

After some give-and-take on what music stand to purchase, someone jokingly suggested that we should next "fight" over what mutes to purchase. In a humorous way, I expanded this list to questions from several prior threads that led to circular arguments here on TrumpetMaster.

For convenience, I repeated the dialogue here...

Ed, of course you are correct about the bad things tobacco causes. But my reply wasn't meant to be a commentary about tobacco. In a lighthearted way, I was just trying to remind us of all of the silly arguments we've had here on TrumpetMaster.

Mike

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mike, you're off the hook this time. The OP's son is 9 and I started the bad habit between 10 & 11, buying a pack for 21 cents from the machine. Put a quarter in and got 4 cents change inside the cellophane wrapper. Then I smoked 2 or 3 a day. The longest I ever quit began when I was 21 and went into USAF jet pilot training and started up again after I got out of pilot training and out of USAF and after 1st divorce and didn't stop again until I was in the ambulance on my way to have my open heart triple bypass. During my LEO career, at times I smoked as many as 2 or three packs a day. Thinking back on it, I wouldn't call it quits, but I didn't smoke that much in my first 3 years of college playing in the college band or while studying in the library as didn't allow smoking. Too, when I finished college and was teaching, I only smoked in the evenings when my second wife and I went to a bar.

8. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ed, I was never on the hook, my friend.

Mike

9. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    I wouldn't put much into making it pretty just yet. He is nine... I would bet you will need repairs in less than six months. Combine the work.