Brownish spots? What the heck..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I have just bought a new silver trumpet. When I bought it, it was flawless. All shiny and brand new. I've been told my the cashier that I should try to just wipe it with a towel after I play to get the finger prints off. I've been consistently doing it for about a month a half. About 2 days ago It was really late and I had to get to bed so I just thought one time of not polishing wont hurt it. The next couple days of practice, I noticed it started to form brownish-yellowish tarnish ugly spots. One big one is on the first valve. Right next to the thumb slide. The ugly spot doesn't seem to be a finger print, but it seems to be the underside of my finger. There's another spot just like it. That cashier also said if it gets tarnish get a towel, put some toothpaste on it, and wipe it. It will come off. Needless to say that did not work. Any advice?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    MAAS metal polish ... you can get it at Ace Hardware .. the best
    Do you live near the ocean, the humidity can raise havoc on silver.
    They do make a bag you can place your horn in to keep this from happening.
    Pick up a polishing cloth at your local music store.
    oh, and one more thing... NEVER use toothpaste on your instrument... EVER

3. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I live in Houston, Texas. Thanks for the advice! Definitley will go check it out!

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    3M Tarnisheild strips. Put one in your case. Forget about polishing.

5. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    One more important thing... go back to the cashier who told you to use toothpaste on your horn and deliver one sharp slap to their left cheek... when they give you a confused look deliver one to the right then tell them to stop talking out their @$$ and giving advice when they clearly have NO clue what they are talking about! Had you done this you would have rather quickly worn the silver right off of your horn.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Frankly I think complaint to the shop is in order regarding their cashiers giving advice when the know about as much as Shutzie from Hogan's Heroes. (I know Nothing)

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Heh, heh. How would you feel if your dentist's receptionist told you to brush with silver polish and rinse with Tarn-x?

8. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Whenever seeking advice on instrument care.....ask a LOT of people, take all the results, group them into what makes the most sense (general consensus) and then try things from the LEAST intrusive to the LESS LEAST intrusive....throw every other bit of advice away.

Since you said it was a NEW trumpet, this should not be happening.
    A bigger question is.....what kind of trumpet do you have? If it is a cheaper Chinese trumpet you may be just having quality issues.
    If it is a trumpet that is still under warranty, BRING IT IN FOR SERVICE/INSPECTION (not to that oral care obsessed cashier though).

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Repeat: never use an abrasive on silver.

I use Wrights Silver Cream. It's cheap, mild and easy to buy.
    wrights silver polish - BuyCheapr.com

Also, well, this might be a little picky, but be careful about what you wipe any soft finish like silver or gold with.

Some towels will scratch if used often. It's best to use a cloth that was sold as a polishing cloth. A soft, clean well worn
    scrap of flannel works too.

And, after you use that cloth on the horn for frequent wipe downs, it will get dirty. Go ahead and soak it in some hot dishwater
    for an hour and rinse the heck out of it. Or throw the rag away and get a new one. Its a small price to pay compared to a new
    silver finish.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  10. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Since I have gotten to small scale electro-plating I have learned from one source that .9999 fine silver takes a real long time to tarnish. Sterling silver tarnishes because it is an alloy of silver and copper, usually about 9% copper. The copper is what tarnishes, the lower the silver content the faster it will tarnish. I have a silver plated horn that I have been working on and I have handled it every day for the last week and never wiped it down and no spots or tarnish. I would suggest that maybe your horn was not plated with a quality silver product.