Brownish spots? What the heck..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I second the Maas polish with a microfiber cloth. That stuff polishes any metal to a mirror finish. Amazing stuff. What kind of horn is it, anyway? Good luck!

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    What kind of case does the horn have? Sometimes cheaper cases off-gas sulphur gas from the rubber/plastics, which causes silver to tarnish.

3. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Oh well my case doesn't have much rubber. Its more like a duffel bag strap on case. But it doesn't have much rubber inside it. Just the handle straps are rubber

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Pure silver oxidizes, as does any product with a higher content of silver. Silver in the presence of industrial air or carbon combustion seems to oxidize / tarnish more rapidly. Silver plated instruments never fared well in cigarette/cigar smoke laden venues.

5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I did say that I had been told about silver by one source and I certainly don't only believe one source. I do try to find the most correct info I can and I welcome your input. I did think though after my earlier posting, what about coin silver? I just remember back in the day when they made coins out of real silver that they did not tarnish very fast and I thought they were fine silver. I have also done some research since and have found that the thing that tarnishes silver is contact with sulfur and that the resulting sulfur oxide (tarnish) is black not brown.

I sure do not claim to be an expert and I am not a chemist but I think I will stand by my earlier post speculating that the instrument was plated with a product with less than a desirable amount of silver in it.

6. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Shame. I scanned some of the replies and it could very well be a poor quality instrument.
    In support of the humid climate theory, I live in Michigan. It is very humid here in the summer sometimes.
    A couple of weeks ago, my Bach Chicago C (which is also silver) developed some brown spots.
    I did polish the trumpet and they went away. But it was humid the next week and the spots returned.
    I too advise you give the cashier a piece of your mind.