Bruised Lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ejaime23, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    Howdy all! So this is my last semester as a music ed major in my undergrad, which means that I've been student teaching all semester. This took quite a toll on my practice time, and while I'm still able to practice everyday for a couple of hours, I usually have to do it in small increments of about 30-45 minutes. I've noticed that my day starts off with my chops feeling pretty good, I do my routine and daily fundamentals in the first session, usually mixing it up throughout the week so I'm not doing the exact same thing all the time. My problem occurs on the instances after that, when I pick up my horn for the second session, it's almost like clockwork now that my lips feel awful and kind of bruised. I don't understand this since they don't have any feeling of tiredness during the first session, and I always end my first session with my chops feeling great, but I've yet to pick the horn for a second session without my chops feeling like crap. So I guess my question is, am I pushing too hard on the first session even though it doesn't feel like it, or am I doing something totally wrong here? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Oops! I just reread what you wrote...I was going to ask if you're still doing your warm up/routine...but you said you are!

Since your chops feel good early, are you doing lots of intense or high register playing in the first session? That might feel good at first, then make you feel tired later.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. utu

utu New Friend

Mar 6, 2008
    how are they doing now?

4. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    Well, I've done a lot of what others have said, warming down thoroughly after the first session, starting off the second session a bit easier, etc. It's gotten a lot better in that I'm able to reach the point in the second session when my chops feel ok, but they still really funny at first. The initial placement of the mouthpiece on my lips feels huge, and I always have an issue getting a buzz at first. I'll keep working on it and trying to figure out what works, thanks!

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Yeah, you might be overdoing it in the first session,
    if you play for long than you should (overtraining, just like in running, etc.) your lips and muscles will notice

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Maybe you should use your first session as sort of a warm up to the following sessions.Play things you feel you could play for hours like Clark studies,long tones etc.I can relate with what pedal C says about playing to intense,it happens all to many times to me.This is just a thought,but due to the fact that you say your lips get swollen and are tired on a daily basis,coud it be your spending to much of your practice time on developing your upper register?